Is this forum dying?

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
mvanrheenen

Re: Is this forum dying?

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Birma wrote:We should have a competition for the worst received Sony model on this forum, A100 onward. Up to this point I think it was the A230, but now the A58 might just be pipping it at the post :)

If Sony were ever lucky enough to bring out a camera that everyone here liked then I think the Forum would close on its own :) . I think it needs the moans and counter-moans to keep going.
Nothing wins it from the ergonomic abomination and least remarkable upgrade of all time: the A390!

I know, I had one :mrgreen:

@Henry: and proud of it in this case :-)
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Guys, would you stop ranting on the EVF. Really. Think about it. You have ranted so much that Sony came out with the answer: an excellent camera without an EVF, in fact, without even an OVF too... the RX-1.
So, stop ranting, at least we could still have an EVF... :mrgreen:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yes the RX100 seems to hit the mark with a lot of people, so much so I went and had a look at the dpr studio shot and compared it to the G15, and for a smaller sensor camera it measured up to the RX100 surprisingly well, actually sharper in some places as you move the little window around, check out the playing card http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-g15/10
Greg
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Birma wrote:We should have a competition for the worst received Sony model on this forum, A100 onward. Up to this point I think it was the A230, but now the A58 might just be pipping it at the post :)

If Sony were ever lucky enough to bring out a camera that everyone here liked then I think the Forum would close on its own :) . I think it needs the moans and counter-moans to keep going.

The A200 was not badly received it was just a step back from the A100 in functionality. Key point was that it was at least very cheap and I've seen quite a few of them around so I imagine it sold pretty well.

It's a shame the model was not updated properly though. A230 was a flop and hated by almost everyone it's hard to comment on how dumb removing an AEL button can be (very dumb) and the grip was horrible too. I still see a few shops trying to sell this model! I sold my A200 to an A230 owner who said "wow this is much nicer than the A230) enough said!

RX100 is a compact, by no means a bad one but not the same thing, but it lacks the charm and VF of the Fuji's or the Canon G series. It's probably done ok the 1" sensor was a good move, shame the rest of the camera didn't live up to the potential (no grip, no VF, not great handling)

You can be sure the A58 isn't going to sell well and will become an object of mockery purely on the plastic mount. I think it's fully deserved myself Sony had every opportunity to offer a real A57 replacement and decided to dumb it down. You have to put the blame where it belongs, if I say I'm going to paint your house and make a pigs ear of the job, then I guess you can fully blame me for that..same thing with models and cameras, we don't make them Sony do. If they make bad choices they carry the can for that.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:Yes the RX100 seems to hit the mark with a lot of people, so much so I went and had a look at the dpr studio shot and compared it to the G15, and for a smaller sensor camera it measured up to the RX100 surprisingly well, actually sharper in some places as you move the little window around, check out the playing card http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-g15/10
I have sort of been eyeing the Canon G15. It has gotten a bit smaller/lighter compared to the G12, lens is much faster, AF faster, slight improvement to OVF, and a few other things. I carry my S95 with me all the time, but really miss not having a VF. The G15 has a mediocre one, but I know from the earlier Canon digicams I used (A590IS, A540, A70) that had mediocre OVFs that a mediocre OVF is much better than none in some situations.

I'll be back in Japan next month so I will take a look at the G15.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

bakubo wrote:
Greg Beetham wrote:Yes the RX100 seems to hit the mark with a lot of people, so much so I went and had a look at the dpr studio shot and compared it to the G15, and for a smaller sensor camera it measured up to the RX100 surprisingly well, actually sharper in some places as you move the little window around, check out the playing card http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-g15/10
I have sort of been eyeing the Canon G15. It has gotten a bit smaller/lighter compared to the G12, lens is much faster, AF faster, slight improvement to OVF, and a few other things. I carry my S95 with me all the time, but really miss not having a VF. The G15 has a mediocre one, but I know from the earlier Canon digicams I used (A590IS, A540, A70) that had mediocre OVFs that a mediocre OVF is much better than none in some situations.

I'll be back in Japan next month so I will take a look at the G15.
Henry after you give the G15 the once over or even the twice over I'd be interested in your impressions. :D
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote: Henry after you give the G15 the once over or even the twice over I'd be interested in your impressions. :D
Will do.

By the way, for the last couple of days I started wondering if the title of this thread was wrong. Instead of Is this forum dying? I was wondering if it should have been Is this forum dead? Yesterday for almost all day the forum was inaccessible. The day before was the same. I suppose the hosting service is having some major problems?
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

bakubo wrote:
Greg Beetham wrote: Henry after you give the G15 the once over or even the twice over I'd be interested in your impressions. :D
Will do.

By the way, for the last couple of days I started wondering if the title of this thread was wrong. Instead of Is this forum dying? I was wondering if it should have been Is this forum dead? Yesterday for almost all day the forum was inaccessible. The day before was the same. I suppose the hosting service is having some major problems?
I had no such problems accessing.
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Canon G1X was using one the other day for a bit and quite liked it IQ is very good, decent build and the price has dropped quite a lot.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

artington wrote:I had no such problems accessing.
Did you check several times throughout the day and evening or just for a short period? The reason I ask is because sometime Friday evening (Hawaii time) the forum became inaccessible to me. I checked again later in the evening and it was the same. Then on Saturday morning and several times during the day I checked and it was still the same. Then for a short period on Saturday afternoon it was accessible and I posted a few times. Later I checked again and it wasn't accessible again. During the evening it wasn't accessible and then the last time I was on the computer yesterday evening it still wasn't. This morning (Sunday) I checked and the forum is back. It is Sunday 7:40 AM here. Was it only me?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:Canon G1X was using one the other day for a bit and quite liked it IQ is very good, decent build and the price has dropped quite a lot.
Last year in Tokyo I picked up a G1X several times to have a look at it. I liked the size and feel of the G12 better, but the G1X has the larger sensor. If I find the G15 interesting then it might replace the S95 that I always keep with me. The G12 was just a bit too big for that purpose, but the G15 is a bit smaller so it might barely squeak into the the acceptable size/weight range. Actually, I wish there was a model more the size/weight of my old A590IS. For a camera that is in my pocket (usually side pocket of cargo shorts) I don't want a big, heavy lump. The A590IS had a mediocre OVF, had a small grip so that it could be held securely and with one hand, and was not so heavy. I was okay with the level of external controls for the uses I had for the camera. The G12 was a nice camera to hold, but the lens was a bit slow since it has a small sensor and wasn't good to carry in my pocket. The G15 might be okay though. I'll find out.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

I don't go on that regularly - today must be an exception - but the only failure to access was when I couldn't access other sites either. In that case the problem lay with my router - not uncommon - which required re-booting.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

artington wrote:I don't go on that regularly - today must be an exception - but the only failure to access was when I couldn't access other sites either. In that case the problem lay with my router - not uncommon - which required re-booting.
I kept coming back and checking because it was inaccessible. I get an email when someone has updated a thread that I have participated in so I had a backlog of a bunch of threads that had been updated previously.

All other sites were fine, only this one wasn't. If they weren't accessible either then I wouldn't have found it surprising or noteworthy that this particular site was also inaccessible. :)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Henry, I was accessing on and off during the day yesterday and I didn't get any failures.

Technical issues aside I think you have rejuvenated postings in general with this thread :)

It sounds like you're off to Japan in the near future. I'm looking forward to your Japanese street shots already, and I hope you're there for the blossom.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Hi Henry, I was accessing on and off during the day yesterday and I didn't get any failures.
Maybe it is just a matter of me accessing it during Hawaii daytime which is 10 hours earlier than UK time. For example, 5:00 PM here is 3:00 AM the next day in the UK. Maybe the host was doing maintenance for several hours on 2 consecutive weekend nights.
Birma wrote: Technical issues aside I think you have rejuvenated postings in general with this thread :)
I didn't really expect that, but I was hoping to find out what others thought and also if any of the old timers here who had disappeared might see it and come back for a bit. It is great to see a revival of the forum!
Birma wrote: It sounds like you're off to Japan in the near future. I'm looking forward to your Japanese street shots already, and I hope you're there for the blossom.
I don't make long term plans (or even medium-term plans :lol: ). We are leaving Hawaii next month and going to Japan for awhile. Also, I bought plane tickets to go to Taiwan for 18 days soon after arriving in Japan. First time to Taiwan, but it looks very interesting. Then back to Japan, maybe for a few months during the beautiful Japanese spring. Not sure what after that, but maybe go back to Austin to see my mother in the summer. I try to get back at least once a year to see her. Also, see some old friends and relatives. My car is in Austin so it would be a good opportunity to go on a road trip while we are on the mainland. In the fall, still undecided, but I have plenty of ideas. I never have any problem having ideas, it is just trying to juggle all of the conflicting desires and requirements. :lol: