Nikon's Autofocus

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Nikon's Autofocus

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

No need to go into details on my own experiences (well documented), but it looks like Nikon's AF problems are far from over

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51400654

I'm really not surprised at all this mirrors exactly what I found with my 5 bodies. The AF seems to have a big margin of error and I found it simply unacceptable. Even AF fine tune doesn't help that much.
I feel sorry for users with this problem it's hugely frustrating you never really know when you get a shot in focus, it drove me to distraction being honest. I'm not an AF expert, but in field use Nikon's AF on the bodies I used was frankly very poor for accuracy. It's a real shame they have continued QC issues with new models.

I expect many more posts about AF problem with the D7100 and probably other models too. A 51 point AF system is worth nothing if you can't even nail a static tree!
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: Nikon's Autofocus

Unread post by classiccameras »

I read the DPReviews posts on this problem, is Nikon aknowledging the problem or just staying quiet. I believe Nikon have a Vietnam factory, but if QC is the problem, its still Nikon's responsibility to ensure high standards are met, may be this is not the case.

I think next year will see new Alpha mount bodies without the fixed mirrors and my guess is the A58 is an interim model to keep that end of the market ticking over until the new models become available. I'm only guessing, but some rumour sites are suggesting this, still a rumour is just a rumour so don't trust them.

I read some where that the Jpeg engine had been tweaked on the A37 as opposed to other models for the mass entry level market. I must admit that my Jpegs are sharp and high in detail up to about 800 ISO and 1600 is pretty good to, only my Nikon is better at higher ISO.
bfitzgerald

Most of the issues are apparently oil/dust ones on the sensor. This seems to have been around since the D7000 release (on some models) I never noted that issue myself.
D600 gets very mixed user reviews even now on this showing that their QC issues are far from over. AF wise they've had problems across a number of models even the D800. I'd wager more D7100 AF complaints will turn up, but maybe less than the D7000.

One lesson I learnt the hard way (with Nikon and Pentax) is don't assume forum chatter is all mythical, it can point to problems that are very real.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:One lesson I learnt the hard way (with Nikon and Pentax) is don't assume forum chatter is all mythical, it can point to problems that are very real.
Yeah, I always pay attention to that sort of stuff. Sure, there is chaff mixed with the wheat, but you can find the trend and what problems seem to keep showing up. One of the great things about the internet is that it is easier to find out about these problems and connect with other people who have the same problems. Before the internet when you had a problem you usually didn't know if it was common or if you were alone -- exactly the way the corporations want it. It boggles my mind how there are so many people who want to denigrate and insult anyone who brings up a problem. By supporting each other when we have problems we put a bit more pressure on the corporation to do the right thing and fix it, replace it, or give a refund. I say it boggles my mind, but actually I know that there are lots of self-destructive people out there who work very hard against their own and everyone else's interests. :lol:
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Keep in mind that the user is an important factor in this equation. Reading the forums you need to differentiate between manufacturer issue, design issue and user mishandling.

In other hand, companies handling this issues are a factor too, and int his very case, Nikon denial of the issue can only hurt themselves.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

pakodominguez wrote:Keep in mind that the user is an important factor in this equation. Reading the forums you need to differentiate between manufacturer issue, design issue and user mishandling.
Yes, that is the chaff I mentioned. :)
bfitzgerald

Ran across this the other day. Very sad to read..
That's 3 years into production and Nikon are still putting out lemon AF D7000's on the market

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52451234

I feel for this user, D7k is a nice price and "could" be a great camera, if only the damn thing could focus!
If the D7k had the AF of the A57 (couldn't care about no. of AF points) I'd have kept it..as it is the Sony runs rings around it (sadly)