Whose camera will I buy in 2018?

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Whose camera will I buy in 2018?

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Whose camera will I buy in 2018?

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Nice read.
Quite logical, but quite far from reality too, cause nobody knows what will happen next, only the.............. :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

5 years from now I'll not be buying Alphas. With the system being broken - new flash system, no OVF, etc. - and me on the lower end of the disposable income curve, I need to invest in a system that will stay coherent.

It may be Canon, Nikon, Pentax or something else. If I have my druthers it would be a traditional type DSLR with an OVF, and part of a camera system that is stable so that I can buy various bodies, accessories and lenses and know that they'll also work on the next model.

Will it have 20, 30 or even 50 MPs? I don't know. It will probably have GPS and WiFi built in, as those will be expected by then. The cards it saves the data on may be of a type not even invented yet, or perhaps it will stream it to an accessory drive wirelessly.

Whatever it is, I also hope that it's well made and advanced enough that I can stick with it for 10 years. After all, once you reach a certain technology saturation point, there is no need to keep updating, at least for me.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

The camera world is changing rapidly so no one really knows what we will have available in 5 year.

I got back from Bali, Indonesia and am in Japan again. Good trip. I'll try to get some photos posted later.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

bakubo wrote:...I got back from Bali, Indonesia and am in Japan again. Good trip. I'll try to get some photos posted later.
Always eager to see your shots.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very interesting article Henry - thanks for posting.

As the Doc says, looking forward to the Bali shots.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty wrote:Whatever it is, I also hope that it's well made and advanced enough that I can stick with it for 10 years. After all, once you reach a certain technology saturation point, there is no need to keep updating, at least for me.
With computers 10 years is a long time, but there are still lots of people using cameras such as the Canon 300D, 10D, D60, etc. that are 10 years old or older. You can still buy CF cards for them, the jpegs they produce or the raw files they produce can still be worked with, the batteries are still available, and so on. A 2013 camera such as the Nikon D7100, Canon 60D, Sony A77, Olympus E-M5, Pentax K5II, etc., assuming you don't get a lemon or one that develops problems, will probably still be quite usable in 2023. All of those cameras are capable of great results now and will be just as good 10 years from now (barring breakdowns). The tech has improved a lot since 2003, but probably won't improve as much and as at as fast a pace in the next 10 years. Even if it does the 2013 camera won't suddenly be worse than it is now. I look back at the shots I made with my Canon 300D that I bought in 2003 and am still pretty happy with them. I used it for a month in Ecuador, a couple of months in Japan, in Vancouver, British Columbia, and on road trips in the U.S. I even shot mostly jpegs with it (contrast and sharpening set to minimum).

I got all my Bali shots imported into LR a couple of nights ago and keyworded them. Then flagged the ones I will probably add to the website. Spent a couple of hours yesterday working on that subset and this morning I have worked a bit more. At this rate it will probably take me several more days. Mostly E-M5 shots and a fair number from the G15. All raw. I shot a lot of jpegs with the G15 for Tokyo street stuff and I need to look at those after I finish with the Bali photos. Generally I expect to use raw with the G15, but we'll see if jpegs are okay for street and still have a bit of capability for post-processing.