Searching for a new Swiss army knife

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Searching for a new Swiss army knife

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I have the "Swiss Champ" bought some 18 years ago.
But I came across this from another maker.

Not sure how practical that is but wow overkill!
Capture.JPG
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Searching for a new Swiss army knife

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yeah Barry I’ve seen that one before, it’s been floating around the web for a while, It’s just a novelty item I think, it’s almost totally useless because there is no handle remaining (nothing to grasp) for actually using it sensibly.
I suppose you could lug it around and wait for an opportunity to say to someone who was using a more normal one, as a joke, ‘That’s not a Swiss Knife, THIS is a Swiss Knife.’
Greg
Ps I think whoever thought that one up needs a quick spray of this stuff
Bullshit-repellent-spray.jpg
Bullshit-repellent-spray.jpg (11.32 KiB) Viewed 3844 times
Last edited by Greg Beetham on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
bfitzgerald

Bit suspicious some of the reviews I've read of that one above. One guy saying he built his "barn" just using that ;-)

I think for normal folks the champ is a good bet, or a huntsman for something a bit lighter or handyman model for mid range. This is evidently the official one with every tool ever done! I'm still open to suggestions though!
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

I received one of these when Stephanie was doing the show. Not quite the Swiss Champ but still quite handy.

pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote:I have the "Swiss Champ" bought some 18 years ago.
But I came across this from another maker.

Not sure how practical that is but wow overkill!
Capture.JPG
Hi Barry

It looks like the camera you are always expecting to have...

:twisted:

Pako
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

No Pako I just expect decent jpegs, big ask? Nah not really ;-)
I used to watch Macgyver years back it's on netflix now I watch the odd one just for fun!
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

bfitzgerald wrote:No Pako I just expect decent jpegs, big ask? Nah not really ;-)!
JPGs?
I used to complain about Sony JPGs because I found the Maxxum 7D's JPG so deep, dense in information, easy to edit and recover, and the A100; A700 were, lets say, not that good.
Then I had to edit JPGs from my second photographer(s) that used Nikon D300s and D700; Canon 5DII or D7 and I just bought more memory cards and ask them to shoot raw because their JPGs sucks. A99, A900 or even NEX7 JPGs (I shoot raw+jpg in BW with the NEX7 almost all the time) are way better than, lets say, the competition...

MacGiver was the king of hero everyone wanted to be. Until I discovered Robert Frank, Eduard Weston, Eugene Smith, you know, those other heroes...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Barry I have this one http://www.yourhomedepot.com.au/product ... pgodkAcApQ and I have actually used it a few times so it is handy, or it would be more handy if it wasn’t sitting in the glove box of the truck all the time due to it being on the heavy side, it’s at least three times the weight of a normal pocket knife but then it has strong pliers which a normal pocket knife doesn’t have so you take the good with the bad I guess.
But the thing is all those gizmos are basically something you would get by with if you had no other choice, each of them when replaced by selecting the correct size real tool are not as good by comparison because it’s more cumbersome to use. If I’m at home or even away somewhere I just head for the toolbox instead if I need any of those gadgets.
The only place I think where it might be useful is fishing maybe or on a bushwalk (if you’re into bushwalking that is) and then you have to remember to actually take it along. :roll:
Greg
Ps I liked R Anderson in Stargate better I think, the dry sense of humour was great. The MacGyver show was more of a kids show I thought but then so was Stargate I guess…but both were entertaining in their own right. I see a couple of actors that were in the MacGuyver show were also in Stargate SG1.
bfitzgerald

I ended up picking up another Victorinox, one for my Son and a new swiss champ (I'll keep the old one for rough jobs though it's held up pretty well)

Interesting observation is the Swiss Champ I bought in 1994 costs the same in 2013! It's just under £50 which is amazing really considering inflation etc.
It's a shame the camera industry doesn't follow that kind of pricing!
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

bfitzgerald wrote: Interesting observation is the Swiss Champ I bought in 1994 costs the same in 2013! It's just under £50 which is amazing really considering inflation etc.
It's a shame the camera industry doesn't follow that kind of pricing!
you are wrong.
DK posted a comment, a couple of years ago, about the cost of professional equipment back in the seventies and now. if I recall properly, buying a professional setup cost about the same as buying a car or the down payment for an apartment.
Cameras are (relatively) cheaper than 20 or 30 years ago.

This are prices from 1986
http://nikonrumors.com/2011/04/20/nikon ... -ago.aspx/
and here an inflation calculator
http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php

Have fun

Pako
Pako
------------
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

My Swiss Army Knife is very old:

XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....