No Permission to view images while logged out of the Forum?

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
aster
Tower of Babel

No Permission to view images while logged out of the Forum?

Unread post by aster »

Hi,

Something I'm not used to seeing in the forum is happening when I sign out of the forum: I cannot view any of the photos that were uploaded through the forum attachment feature. I have to log in to make them visible.

The statement in red font at the bottom of the blank photo spaces reads: "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post".

This has been going on for me since early hours of 08/09/2013.

Below are three screenshots from both the challenge threads and the Give it Your Best Shot threads. Any photo uploaded directly to the Photo Club Alpha server is not viewable until logged in while the photos linked from other websites are visible and look fine.

Could this be reversed to its earlier status please? I'd like to be able to see the photos as a 'guest' also. I'm sure this is the case for others that come as guests as well.

Yildiz

No Permission For Photo-viewing 1.jpg
No Permission For Photo-viewing 2.jpg
No Permission For Photo-viewing 3.jpg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: No Permission to view images while logged out of the For

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I’m not having any problems Yildiz, so far, just the usual dumb thumbnails instead of photos, that’s the only thing I have experienced. And some privileged people don’t seem to even have that problem, so no I haven't seen that one yet.
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Greg Beetham wrote:I’m not having any problems Yildiz, so far, just the usual dumb thumbnails instead of photos, that’s the only thing I have experienced. And some privileged people don’t seem to even have that problem, so no I haven't seen that one yet.
Greg
Hi Greg,

You mean you don't see that warning in red font when you are 'NOT' logged in, when you visit the forum as just a 'guest'? And while a guest, do you see the photo thumbnails? I don't even see the thumbnails.

My problem persists, I'm afraid.

This may present a problem during the Challenge poll set ups for me.

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

You might be on the edge of a security zone now Yildiz, (Some aren't happy with the government of Syria) that's the only thing I can think of just at the moment, although it might be something else entirely...who knows? Anyway maybe DK can investigate?
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Greg Beetham wrote:You might be on the edge of a security zone now Yildiz, (Some aren't happy with the government of Syria) that's the only thing I can think of just at the moment, although it might be something else entirely...who knows? Anyway maybe DK can investigate?
Greg
Thank you for the informative feedback, Greg. You're very kind.

I really don't know why this happens when I visit the Photo Club Alpha forums. I have absolutely no such limitations with every other website I frequently visit. I'll wait a little longer....

Thanks,

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Yildiz. I tried logging out and then went to visit the final flowers challenge post as a guest. I could not see Dewarp's pictures just a small white empty box; no red text. All other pictures were visible as normal. Logged back in and all pictures were visible. (I'm using Safari for iOS so perhaps this can't show the red text.)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Birma wrote:Hi Yildiz. I tried logging out and then went to visit the final flowers challenge post as a guest. I could not see Dewarp's pictures just a small white empty box; no red text. All other pictures were visible as normal. Logged back in and all pictures were visible. (I'm using Safari for iOS so perhaps this can't show the red text.)
Thank you for the feedback, Birma.

What you experienced is just an other of the problems present. I can't see Dewarp's and Ossie's photos either. I can only see them whenI log in.

The red text at the bottom of te post appears only in the posts where the original photo is attached, not linked to.
One more go for my sake please, when you log out do you see the images I and Greg uploaded to the FOODS & DRINKS thread? There it's pretty obvious for me.

Thanks,

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Yildiz.

Logged out and went to the (fabulous!) Food thread as a 'guest'. I couldn't see your or Greg's pictures and I got the same red text as you've had. In addition your posts had the small white boxes in place of the photos.

Perhaps a pm to DK?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Birma wrote:Hi Yildiz.

Logged out and went to the (fabulous!) Food thread as a 'guest'. I couldn't see your or Greg's pictures and I got the same red text as you've had. In addition your posts had the small white boxes in place of the photos.

Perhaps a pm to DK?
Thank you, Andy.

I appreciate your going to the trouble and providing feedback very much. I'm relieved now. Good to know that I'm not te only one this is happening to.
You've seen exactly what I've been seeing since this morning.

I'll let DK know. Maybe there's an undergoing change on the sitewe are not aware of.

Yildiz
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Same here when I log out.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yep I see it now as well, the same as what you all do, the red permission message applying to attachment images but not to linked images.
Greg
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

If not logged in, I have the same behavior as described above, with the "You do not have permission" message and the absence of the images.

BTW, once I am logged in, what is the reason for the appearance of only thumbnails in some messages and thumbnails plus full images in other messages? Why the difference?

- Tom -
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you for the kindly provided feedback, Dr. Harout, Greg, Tom.

I appreciate it very much.Only through your personal experience could this matter be clarified further. Thanks.

I have PMed David Kilpatrick a while ago, providing a link to this thread. Hopefully as the Administrator, he can grant the permissions and put a stop to the 'thumbnail views' that we get when the images are attached using the forum attachment feature.

Tom, the thumbnails started to appear about 3 weeks ago or so. The thumbnail views exist for only the photos that are uploaded through the message attachment feature of the forum. The photos that reside on other websites and linked to have no problems appearing in their original sizes.

The thumbnails+the original sized photos you saw in my posts show together because I created links to their original versions that opened in a new page. Otherwise they're bound to stay as thumbnails just like Greg's uploaded photos in FOODS&DRINKS thread or the other threads. Greg did not have any worries over linking them a second time to make them appear in their original sizes. That procedure is time-consuming and not very practical so I believe he didn't want the fuss. But this indeed is a problem and disadvantage against all other linked images that have no problems.

I hope I was able to help understand. : )

Thank you all, once again.

Now we have to wait to hear what David has to say on the matter since he has the access means to any of the features that may resolve our problems.

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi,

Good news: David Kilpatrick solved the issue for the time being. If this new set up is the answer to all questionable issues, we'll find out in time as new photos are uploaded and various parts of the forum are visited by members and the guests.

Hopefully this is the end of the problem. : )

Thanks so much David.

Yildiz