Different Sensor Sizes

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Different Sensor Sizes

Unread post by bakubo »

Here is a rather interesting comparison of different sensor sizes (medium format, Nikon D800E, Olympus OM-D E-M5, and a couple of tiny sensor digicams).

http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/06/25/a- ... nsor-size/
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Different Sensor Sizes

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Formats (and associated lenses) are always interesting H, the Hasselblad is good but MF is horribly cumbersome, did you check out the dpr image test widget with a few cams? I have selected the A7r, D800, E-M5 and, wait for it, Phase One, check out that sucker.
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-7-7r/6

I checked the link...drats it reverts back to the original selections, you can find the ones I listed in the dropdown list and change the A7 over to the E-M5 and the D610 over to the Phase One.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg, thanks for the link. I looked at it. Certainly the Phase One IQ180 with 80mp sure has a lot of resolution. That is what you really get from looking at these sort of studio test scenes. The link I posted was trying to look at a much broader range of aspects concerning different sensor sizes, not resolution, I think. I thought it was interesting.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yep Henry of course I read through (skimmed a bit here and there) your link before sorry I should have elaborated, (I’ve got divided attention at the moment), the Oly did pretty good against the D800, amazing actually, it only really fell shorter where low light was concerned (who cares).
All cameras take pretty decent photos really, even the compacts weren’t that bad in the comparison, in decent lighting they are good, put it that way, the differences start to show up when looking at deep shadows and generally when the EV heads south, that’s the message I got anyway.
What I need in a camera apart from taking decent photos (even my KM5D takes good photos) is a system flash and accessories for macro that all work properly, and that’s what most reviewers never test or give any info on, but I believe the Nikon system works, I don’t know anything about the Olympus system.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yes, things are pretty darn good these days. As I said in my scanning thread, I much prefer the results from even the tiny sensor in my Canon S95 to what I get from scanning 35mm film. There is just no comparison. My old $104 Canon A590IS and my wife's little $99 Canon A4000IS don't shoot raw (unless you use CHDK), but I even generally prefer their jpeg results to scanned film.

The E-M5, D800, A99, A77, A7, A7r are even better!

Here is the scanning thread I mentioned:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =13&t=8068
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Coincidentally, this rather interesting article was posted:

Smartphones versus DSLRs versus film: A look at how far we've come

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/553341 ... =title_0_3
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Henry, I just read that article as well, very interesting. The cost benefit curve is certainly exponential! :)

I have just been looking at some of my old A100 pictures from 2008. I'm sure my technique had improved as well, but I don't think I want to go back to that sensor. One issue was that I was not exposing to the right and the A100 is a bit of a noise monster. I was also using filters a lot so that could have degraded things as well. I've been re-PPing some shots which I'll post in the landscape thread.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:I have just been looking at some of my old A100 pictures from 2008. I'm sure my technique had improved as well, but I don't think I want to go back to that sensor. One issue was that I was not exposing to the right and the A100 is a bit of a noise monster. I was also using filters a lot so that could have degraded things as well. I've been re-PPing some shots which I'll post in the landscape thread.
I still have the A100 I bought in 2007. I never much liked that camera, but it was more usability issues for me. The sensor was okay, David was very enthusiastic about it, but a bit noisy once you got up to ISO 400+. I used it mostly in Hawaii for a couple of months before giving it to my wife. In Hawaii most of the shots were at ISO 100 so no problem at all.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Henry, I think my problem was use in lower levels of light and perhaps focus and filter use. Almost certainly down to my lack of experience.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.