Trying to ignore dPreview

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Trying to ignore dPreview

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Over the last few months I've been participating in dPreview forums for NEX, Alpha and Cyber-shot mostly because of the need for information from as many early adopters as possible. Alongside some genuinely useful information, I've been rather knocked back by the depth of ignorance and convinced misinformation to be found there, along with some very intolerant and abusive exchanges (they do not really seem to have active moderation now).

I feel I have neglected being here as a result, and I've decided to close the dPreview tab for good. I have also seen a few of the more intelligent and balanced dPreview forum regulars arriving here (I don't want the others... ever!).

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Trying to ignore dPreview

Unread post by pakodominguez »

At least they are not asking "what is a beercan" that much...
Yep, the fauna over there have their ceiling quite low. I used to follow some interesting users, but they are not participating anymore.
I miss the photoclub life, where you can talk photography and not just equipment.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I get the impression that the site welcomes hits on the forum, whatever the comments being made. It may be quieter on PCA, but I'd rather read every post here, than wade through the morass on dpr. I sometimes have a quick look at the news on the main site, but I don't use the forums anymore.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Welcome back David :D , it's their loss.
Pure volume of posts may look good to DPR sponsors but in reality it's not as good as it seems.

It does appear to show that Sony (and of course the sellers) are not making the most of their adverts and demos of equipment if there is so much ignorance around. I see similar trends in some aviation forums where users of other marques flame Sony without any knowledge of the capabilities at all. I regularily get complimentary comments of my aircraft shots without publicising the kit used, maybe I should put suitable Sony notes on the posts.

On the other hand, we here at PCA are poised to soak up everything you can throw at us....keep it coming. I am woefully ignorant of the features/uses of the newer releases such as the 7/7R. Not that I am in the market for equipment at present but I do like to have a basic knowledge of what it does well (and badly).

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

LIKE button pushed :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Rhtubbs
Initiate

Unread post by Rhtubbs »

As they say on SAR +1000 :)
Ron

a200, a550, A7r, Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Minolta lenses
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Over the last few months I've been participating in dPreview forums for NEX, Alpha and Cyber-shot mostly because of the need for information from as many early adopters as possible. Alongside some genuinely useful information, I've been rather knocked back by the depth of ignorance and convinced misinformation to be found there, along with some very intolerant and abusive exchanges (they do not really seem to have active moderation now).
I have avoided the dPreview forums for a number of years, because I have not been willing to spend the time and effort to separate the interesting and useful content (if any) from the multitude of flame wars and ignorant proclamations.

- Tom -
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I gave up posting about 6 months ago, mostly for the following reasons:

1: Ultimately it can be a waste of time tit for tat postings and very little gained for contributors or readers
2: I've really lost interest in the site and whilst I do browse the odd review I've lost interest there too so I simply don't visit it much at all
3: I do from time to time look at the forums, not that often but it's the same old story it was and has been for years, any kind of debate ends in personal remarks or tedious blasting, some forums are worse than others but it's a problem

There is "some" moderation but unfortunately not reasoned, and remembering my Nikon issues one moderator actively was deleting posts to silence criticism of Nikon/Nikon service, you can still see this mod on the forums making every single excuse for AF issues and stamping on any debate that doesn't brown nose his favourite brand.

For that last reason, I complained to DPR with the usual non response, but decided that I no longer wished to post on a forum that censors views. Appreciate I'm no stranger to a debate and quite a lively one at times, but enough is enough on this one.

But being dead honest, no I don't miss posting there at all (BTW my account is still active, but I don't use it) It wastes more time than you gain. There are some small bits of useful information out there, as with any other forum, but unless you have time to kill or actively enjoy the nature of that forum it's something I think you grow out of after a while.

Overall the site is just not what it used to be a few years back, despite the growth of some areas it's become something of a missed opportunity of late.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

Recently, an active poster on DPR, who often managed to ruffle feathers, made a big announcement about leaving. I think what bothers some people is that everything gets debated and picked-upon. Many of us have strong opinions. If no one objected, there wouldn't be much traffic. And Barry, I know you can argue and debate! ;-) But, yeah, sometimes we just have to agree to disagree and move on and not just beat it into the ground or get caught up in odd side-tangents....

As for moderating, it's hard, particularly when you have a lot of people who claim to be making honest complaints -- are they complaining to be a "troll" and upset people, or are they genuinely interested in a discussion about it? It's often hard to tell. I don't think DPR is trying to encourage poor behavior, I think the poor behavior is there, and it's hard to know what to do with it. I've seen some trolling lately where someone comes in and makes some valid complaint, but as the discussion goes on, you get the feeling like there's no desire for a resolution, just complaining, just as one example. Moderators occasionally have stepped in in recent months to chop up threads that were getting out of hand, so there is some moderation, but right now, it seems like things have to get really bad before they step in?
bfitzgerald

I don't mind a debate, but I think I wasted a lot of time on DPR for not a lot of gain. So I quit..
I do still browse the site the odd time and read some posts, I look at the odd review now and then. I've just lost interest in it, it "can" at times be a good "ground source" for users with issues and problems/solution or even ideas, but much time is wasted on argument v counter argument and usually it ends up in a mud slinging contest and nobody changes their mind. Moderation is a good thing, but it has to be moderate (ie when required and not over bearing), I had comments deleted about D7000 AF problems by a moderator, who still to this day will stamp on any AF discussions hard

After that I lost interest and wandered off. However I took something away from that, and moved onto a new goal (a hobby in my spare time) internet based, but more productive which allowed me to share my thoughts with others. But I have come to the conclusion that the internet can, and is a hostile place it has many benefits and as a source of information is unique..for some reason it's just a stomping ground for aggression for some people (some that is)

DPR just isn't for me the site it used to be and I just find it rather clinical (reviews wise) and the forums just don't grab me in the way they used to. I did learn a few things on DPR, I also learnt it wasn't very productive and that the many hours on there served on purpose only, and that was teaching me to touch type..and not a lot else (honestly that's why I started it Mavis Beacon gets really boring!)
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

There is a lot of value to having user discussions -- sometimes you learn a lot through the debates. But some of the debates seem a bit disingenuous, and some are merely a difference of opinion. Like, it seems to me that some are only interested in the absolute top equipment, so when Sony comes out with a lens with soft corners at wide aperture, it's panned. Well, Sony is hardly the only company to make lenses where the corners are soft at the widest apertures. And, there is a place for more "consumer-oriented" (non-pro) lenses. Anyway, I just see this as design tradeoffs. If you believe another brand has a better design philosophy, it's probably not worth complaining about every Sony release, just look for that mystical camera system that is perfect. ;-)
bfitzgerald

A lot of the Canon lenses are not as good as some suggest (there are of course some excellent ones) but there are plenty of average to ok ones too. The much lower 24-105mm isn't half the lens some make it out to be, it's pretty good but not really L class optics wise (build is good granted) The much famed 70-200mm f2.8 is good, but again for such a price on the lens I found it a little bit below expectations.

Sony are quite capable of making good lenses as are other makers, in many ways I feel they are more capable than Pentax and Nikon on many optics. They do tend to cut corners on costs and build should be improved even on the budget offerings, things are somewhat better with newer lenses like the 55-300mm and 18-135mm which are decent. On the other FF mirror less is not so easy it makes life harder for lens designs which is a problem.