Isn't this hell?

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Isn't this hell?

Unread post by bakubo »

I saw on Tuck's blog today that he had a job and shot 4000 photos in about 3 days at a conference. That makes my head hurt just thinking about it. He seemed to enjoy it, but it sure sounded bad to me. I shot about 3100 in almost 4 weeks in Turkey, less than 2800 in 4 weeks in Nepal, a bit over 700 in a week in Bali, less than 1000 in almost 4 weeks in Ecuador, less than 1600 in a month in Egypt, etc. To tell you the truth, dealing with the Turkey photos was torture. Going through them and making a first cut selection, processing those one by one, making a second cut from that set, and then a final third cut, write captions for most of them, and then add them to my website. Every trip is similar if there are over 2000 photos, but it seemed like I was getting much more weary this time. I almost decided near the end that I might just not do anymore photography or at least not travel and take photos. :) Sheesh, 4000 photos in half a week. That sounds like hell for me, both the taking of that many photos at a conference and then working through them after getting home. Anyway, glad he enjoyed it.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Isn't this hell?

Unread post by Vidgamer »

I wonder if the photos were of random attendees, and he didn't intend on any processing, just providing them for a slideshow or something? I've taken a few photos at conferences, and I don't find it that interesting. I generally only took photos when we were out of the actual conference and walking about or at some activity. So, I wonder how interesting most of his photos really are. Of course, I'm looking at it from the view of what interests me.

Since digital cameras, I've probably taken a few hundred photos per week on a trip where I'm actively touring around. Even 400 is a lot to go through (and that's probably after deleting obvious flubs from the camera already), but yeah, I probably can generate at least 400 a week on a scenic trip, which sounds similar to your numbers. I take enough photos to take up many gigabytes of storage a year, forcing me to increase the size of my backup devices. And yet, I often have the feeling after taking a trip that maybe I should have taken a few more photos of this or that.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Taking 4000 photos in 3 days would probably be very tough even on your shutter finger and hands. Cramped hands from holding the camera and carpal tunnel in your finger. :lol:

If you shoot only jpegs and do absolutely no post-processing then you can just dump the jpegs without review onto a DVD and give them to a customer, but I doubt if that is what he does. I don't know though.

From 2000 to early 2006 I usually shot jpegs because memory cards had smaller capacity and much more expensive than today. I shot jpegs with the contrast and sharpening set to minimum and then I did PP on the jpegs. I recall paying about $100 for a 64mb (megatbyte, not gigabyte) Smartmedia card for my Olympus D-510Z in 2001. When I got my Minolta D7i in 2002 I bought a 128mb CF card and I think that was also about $100. While traveling it would just be too expensive to carry several gigabytes of memory cards so I could shoot raw. By 2006 though things had improved a lot. When I bought my Canon 30D that year I bought 3 fast 1gb CF cards and started shooting only raw. Still not enough for a trip, but I also had older 512mb, 256mb, and 128mb cards plus a portable device the size of a paperback book that you could plug your memory card into and it would copy to the internal 20gb hd. I used that on Ecuador, Thailand, Mexico, and Cambodia trips. These days I just carry a bunch of SD cards (32gb and several 16gb cards). Last time to use it was in spring 2008. The cards are cheap these days so since that last time I just carry enough memory cards for the whole trip.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Yeah, back in those days, I rarely used RAW, but not just because of memory -- there was a 30-second cycle time! Ouch. On one trip where I took over 400 photos, I filled up my memory cards. I figured out by then that it was better to jump to higher compression modes rather than cut resolution. Now, I use 8 and 16GB cards, and never have to worry, even taking a lot of RAW. The problem now is that I fill up my backup drives! I went from one CD every few months to a DVD every couple of months; I now back up to HD and bluray.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Vidgamer wrote:Yeah, back in those days, I rarely used RAW, but not just because of memory -- there was a 30-second cycle time! Ouch.
Yeah, my Minolta D7i had a 30 second wait after shooting a raw photo. I shot a few raw with it, but not much. I recall shooting some photos with it at Bryce Canyon, Utah in raw mode, for example. My next digital was the Canon 300D DSLR in 2003 and it was much faster. I shot mostly jpegs, but sometimes shot raw with it too.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

I wonder if those old RAWs are still supported by newer RAW converters? Sometimes I think I should go back and revisit...

The DSLRs were generally much faster than the P&S cameras, until I discovered Sony cameras. They often had pretty fast response times, not just for RAW, but in general use with the menu, etc.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Vidgamer wrote:I wonder if those old RAWs are still supported by newer RAW converters? Sometimes I think I should go back and revisit...
Yes, my old Minolta D7i, Canon 300D, KM 7D, etc. raw files are supported in LR and ACR. A couple of years ago I was evaluating After Shot Pro and, I think, I remember that it could handle those old raw files too. Most new versions of raw converters will continue to work with raw files that they earlier could work with.