The Nikon D810 has landed - and now back to my afternoon nap

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

The Nikon D810 has landed - and now back to my afternoon nap

Unread post by peterottaway »

Well actually it means that the Sony A7r Mark II will be with an electronic shutter.

And I wonder how much extra discount there will be on the Nikon D800 ? If I was so inclined to update my Nikon bag. Probably much more interesting to gradually update my lens cupboard.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Re: The Nikon D810 has landed - and now back to my afternoon

Unread post by mikeriach »

A friend bought a D800 last week with the new 80-400 zoom at a fair discount.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

They did add small raw (9mp) but seemingly forgot to add medium raw (18mp) sigh.......
Leaving that aside I doubt the differences are enough to tempt most users (there are some improvements fps and other bits)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Well I suppose that not every camera release can be earth shattering. No where near as exciting as its predecessors were :)

The electronic shutter looks interesting, and let's hope that Sony will do something in this area, as Peter says above.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Yes, perhaps time for some consolidation and rationalisation before the next innovations.
None of the recent conventional releases from the major players have been exactly earth shattering but have generally built on sound models.
Some have added useful/great features and some have taken them out. Perhaps they are trying to gauge opinion on what matters. Pity they have to do it this way instead of asking existing users.

I have had 2 survey requests from Sony which I have diligently completed on both occasions saying the same things:
Loyal A mount users feeling neglected and somewhat let down
Disjointed and incomplete product lines
Lack of full model range, huge price gaps
Expensive - could justify elevated price on a SSS body but expect cheaper lenses as there is no IS/VR to build in
Less gimmicks and more useful tools

I don't expect a personal response!
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Save yourself some time Mike I relayed most of that and more to the Sony guy I dealt with directly when I had my "issues", of course he assured me that the very useful points would be relayed directly to the important people in the imaging division..(cough)
Sony just don't want to tap into what users think..so we're left with a take it or leave it plan.

I'll take the bodies (at discount prices that is)..leave most of the lenses and well plug any flash needs with Metz, and I've a fair few Tamron lenses now. Don't make it fine I'll buy Tamron instead. Would seem a bit obvious but hey you can't tell 'em

Sad really but it's not worth the angst thinking about it..Sony are what they are and I'm simply using them as I have a fairly complete system..I don't really recommend Sony to people I meet bar folks who want to bargain hunt vintage lenses (nothing wrong in that)