Fujifilm problems

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Fujifilm problems

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I had a lot going on the last month of so but will reflect my views on what's gone on.

After getting the X10 and mostly liking it I noticed some problems after a few weeks, there was an odd accumulation of dirt or metal looking particles inside the lens elements (on the rear of the front elements and the inner chamber) by particles I'm talking fairly big ones now honestly it looked like bits of metal possibly coming from the lens assembly/mechanism

I sent the camera off to Fuji for repair (this was on the 18/08)
The camera came back a few weeks later the lens had not been cleaned properly, but worse someone had damaged the front element (a deep mark was on it) I sent it off again and I am informed today that the camera will be delivered tomorrow.

Prior to sending it off for the second time, I phoned Fuji and they agreed to send a replacement (in order not to delay any longer) this didn't happen and the same camera was (without my knowledge) repaired again. Fuji have offered me a 32GB SD card as compensation for the first failed repair and delays. I have delined this offer

It looks like iffy servicing and customer support problems are not limited to Sony, Nikon and Pentax I can now add Fuji to the list of not very satisfactory from a customer support angle
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Fujifilm problems

Unread post by bakubo »

Good luck.

Since we have such a mobile lifestyle and spend time in place to place sending my camera off to get repair done is a big problem for me. Especially if it takes more than a week or two for the round trip. So, I always just cross my fingers and hope that I have no problems. KM and Sony are the only ones on multiple occasions which have required repair to fix manufacturing defects/bad parts/defective design.

The only time I ever took a Canon in was in Tokyo in 2007. My 30D was problem free (as was my 60D, 300D, G15, S95, A590IS, A540, A70, A4000IS), but I was walking by the Canon service center in Shinjuku and decided to drop in. The sensor could use a cleaning so I thought I would ask about that. They were so nice and said they would clean it while I waited. Took less than an hour from walking in the door to walking out. Did a great job and there was no charge.

Although I don't know, I suspect that all the Japanese camera companies do a much better job with support and repair here in Japan. Generally, Japanese customers and culture demand it.
bfitzgerald

Well Henry I'm not sure how things work in other regions but erm well it came back today and there are still bits in the lens!
DSC00338.JPG
(122.23 KiB) Downloaded 1743 times
DSC00342.JPG
(142.33 KiB) Downloaded 1743 times
I don't think this is dust it's coming from the lens barrel inside the camera I have sent the images on to Fuji but after 2 repair attempts I've little confidence left in the company
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Barry, we have similar problems with some soviet made lenses. Apparently those dusts are generated from the diaphragm lists. We used to clean them on our own and lubricate them with special lubrificants. It helped.
In such cases, where electronics are involved too in the body of the lens, I guess it might be a problem.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bfitzgerald

I've no idea if it's dust or it's metal (the bits seem a bit big for just dust) I can't see how that much dust can enter such a new camera though .
Anyway I moaned quite a bit to Fuji and they offered me an X20, which I declined because I prefer the EXR sensor so they are sending another X10 out to me and I assume picking this one up (I said I wasn't paying the postage again!)

You might think I was nuts to say no to a more expensive camera but I did quite a few comparison shots and I just can't get the same low light performance or DR off the X Trans CMOS sensor (and I played with quite a few raw samples) Anyway let's hope this one works I can deal with a bit of dust after years of use but a month or so can't be normal for any lens on any camera.