Watkins Bee Meter

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
david antony
Viceroy

Watkins Bee Meter

Unread post by david antony »

Photographic light meter taken on Scott's anarctic expedition allowing
spectacular phographs to be taken by H G Ponting.

https://db.tt/zOHJ7G5m
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Watkins Bee Meter

Unread post by Dusty »

Good find, David!

I remember that I didi some prints for my uncle from early Kodachrome - ASA (now ISO) 8.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Glad you found it interesting Dusty.

I was given one many years ago and came across it last week.
So decided to check them out. Here is more of what I found.

Alfred Watkins, born in Hereford, invented the Bee Meter, which was patented in April 1890. This was the first light meter to measure the relative intensity of light through Watkins' invention of the actinometer and it allowed a numerical value to be assigned to light. The Bee Meter was a pocket calculator for determining exposure, so-called because it was small and highly efficient. It was manufactured in Friars Street, Hereford, in a building known as The Meter Works.

Its success was demonstrated when H G Ponting, the photographer on Scott's Antarctic Expedition in 1910, used a Watkins Meter to produce his amazing landscapes of this unknown continent. He told Watkins that without the meter, the photographs would have been impossible. Sales grew and the meters were exported worldwide. An order was received from China for which the half crown was eventually received. Watkins' son records this as one of his father's most treasured experiences. The Bee Meter can be seen at both the Museum Resource and Learning Centre and Leominster Museum.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great article, David. My wife was born in in Hereford and she had no idea it had such an interesting photographic history :).
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.