Free Photoshop CS2 (and whole Creative Suite) from Adobe

Flag up special offers, lowest prices, rare stock in this forum - dealers may do so directly
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Free Photoshop CS2 (and whole Creative Suite) from Adobe

Unread postby David Kilpatrick » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:07 pm

The link you need is:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitleme ... _downloads

Be warned that since this link was made public, the server has been down occasionally and the site temporarily unavailable. It has been restored but you may have to retry for a quieter period. This is a popular move from Adobe.

The important element of CS2 for the photographer, Photoshop, is only part of the deal as you also get InDesign, Illustrator and Premiere (pre-HD video).

You can use CS2 for a wide range of photo editing tasks, and although it does not support new Alpha and NEX raw files, it is easy enough to convert these to .DNG (Adobe Digital Negative) format using the DNG Converter. This is also a free download:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ftpID=5519 (Windows)

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ftpID=5518 (Macintosh)

Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Free Photoshop CS2 (and whole Creative Suite) from Adobe

Unread postby Dusty » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:16 pm

Yes, the link is down now.

Dusty
An a700 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses.

Headcell
Heirophant

Unread postby Headcell » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:49 pm

“On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated …

You have heard wrong! Adobe is absolutely not providing free copies of CS2!

What is true is that Adobe is terminating the activation servers for CS2 and that for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software, copies of CS2 that don’t require activation but do require valid serial numbers are available. (Special serial numbers are provided on the page for each product download.) See .

You are only legally entitled to download and install with that serial number if you have a valid license to the product!” – Dov Isaacs

Dusty

Unread postby Dusty » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Headcell wrote:“On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated …

You have heard wrong! Adobe is absolutely not providing free copies of CS2!

What is true is that Adobe is terminating the activation servers for CS2 and that for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software, copies of CS2 that don’t require activation but do require valid serial numbers are available. (Special serial numbers are provided on the page for each product download.) See .

You are only legally entitled to download and install with that serial number if you have a valid license to the product!” – Dov Isaacs

In other words: "We made this public so just the licensed guys can have our old tech. Downloading it without a license makes you a bad boy, but we provided free working serials for you anyway." (wink wink)

Dusty

Headcell
Heirophant

Unread postby Headcell » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Dusty, that's exactly my thoughts.

This is such old software, Adobe could just give it away with the hope that people like it so much that they upgrade. Other companies have done this for years, presumably with success.

I've downloaded it. I wonder if an update to Adobe Camera Raw is available that will make it compatible with the latest Sony models...?

David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread postby David Kilpatrick » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:18 pm

You have to download the DNG converter, and then you can work with the latest Sony raws.

They clearly are not bothered about the 'risk' of letting this generation of software out on the loose - it only works on older systems, and it lacks things like auto CA correction and lens profiles, which makes so much difference to quality of output.

David

Dusty

Unread postby Dusty » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:16 pm

I'm not looking at it as a raw convertor - I've got Raw Therapee for that.

I like the fact that I can now do a better job of fixing goofs, cloning out wires/power poles/etc. and do layers on those rare occasions I need to.

I can also edit pdfs, too!

Apparently, the terms in the user licence state that you can use it as long as you "obtained it from Adobe", which I did!

Dusty

bakubo
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread postby bakubo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:20 am

Thanks for the link. I have PS CS2 that I got about 6 years ago, but I forgot and left the CD in Austin so I can't load it onto my current computer. Not a big deal since I use LR 4.3 + PSE 9 and that does almost everything I want, but on rare occasions I sort of wish I could use PS CS2 for something it might do a little different. Rare though. Maybe I will download this so I can install it for those rare times when I would like to use it. I suppose PS CS2 will work okay with Win8?

By the way, you can use the DNG converter to make dng raw files that can be opened by the PS CS2 ACR but the version of ACR that works with PS CS2 is so primitive compared to current versions I would have no interest in using it. PS CS2 though is a wonderful photo editor and, I don't think, there has been all that much added since then that most people would make use of all that much. Yes, I know, as soon as I write that someone will reply that CS3 or CS5 or whatever has some absolutely essential feature they use daily and before it was available they couldn't do any digital photography. :lol:

bakubo

Unread postby bakubo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:25 am

A rundown of the changes from CS2 to the current CS6 is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop

Headcell
Heirophant

Unread postby Headcell » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:48 am

It's working fine on my Windows 7 netbook.

Shame about ACR; [email protected] continue to use UFRAW and Picasa to process the ARW files from the A580 and A57. Together they do a reasonable job.

One feature I will miss from CS5.5 is the content aware fill. Although not perfect, it was a time saver, and generally produced good results. But I'm happy with CS2; it's faster and more intuitive than GIMP.

mvanrheenen

Unread postby mvanrheenen » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:13 pm

bakubo wrote:I suppose PS CS2 will work okay with Win8?

Both the installer and the application work fine in Windows 8.

Looks like they took the page offline.

Mark

bakubo

Unread postby bakubo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:27 pm

Headcell wrote:It's working fine on my Windows 7 netbook.

Shame about ACR; [email protected] continue to use UFRAW and Picasa to process the ARW files from the A580 and A57. Together they do a reasonable job.

One feature I will miss from CS5.5 is the content aware fill. Although not perfect, it was a time saver, and generally produced good results. But I'm happy with CS2; it's faster and more intuitive than GIMP.

Are you on Linux? From this it looks like PS CS2 can work pretty well with Wine on Linux:

http://wiki.winehq.org/AdobePhotoshop

bakubo

Unread postby bakubo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:29 pm

mvanrheenen wrote:Both the installer and the application work fine in Windows 8.

Looks like they took the page offline.

I downloaded it yesterday so glad I didn't wait. Not sure if I will bother installing it, but maybe later if I want to use something in it. Glad to hear it works fine on Win8. That is what I expected. I haven't had any software problems on Win8. All my stuff installed and works.

Dusty

Unread postby Dusty » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:11 pm

mvanrheenen wrote:Looks like they took the page offline.

Mark

Nope, the page is still up, just click the link in DK's post.

Dusty

mvanrheenen

Unread postby mvanrheenen » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Dusty wrote:
Nope, the page is still up, just click the link in DK's post.

Dusty

When I tried a few hours ago I was redirected to the frontpage for Creative Suite. Maybe it was temporary.

@Henry: haven't had any issues myself with compatibility issues on Windows 8. And yes, PS CS2 runs fine on Wine, albeit sluggish on older systems.

Mark

Return to “Dealer Alerts”