A58 exceptional price UK

Flag up special offers, lowest prices, rare stock in this forum - dealers may do so directly
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

A58 exceptional price UK

Unread postby David Kilpatrick » Wed May 29, 2013 2:30 am

http://www.ukcamerastore.co.uk/acatalog ... tAodm0AAIQ

£291 + VAT for the camera plus lens plus a couple of small freebies. £358.53 total with post. Rather less than I paid for a secondhand RX100. I was not going to look at this one but the price really makes it imperative, as well as the new 20 megapixel sensor.

I believe that within the next year, Sony will introduce a GPS unit costing about £150-200 which can be slotted in to the Multi Function Accessory Shoe of the NEX-6, A58 and other future cameras. I say this because the pinouts of the shot include provision for GPS - which they clearly plan to have. So if they do this, I will sell my A55 and A77 and buy the GPS.

David

Heidfirst
Grand Caliph

Re: A58 exceptional price UK

Unread postby Heidfirst » Wed May 29, 2013 2:49 am

seems that there is possibly a trend at the moment towards dropping in-camera GPS in favour of in-camera wifi.
whether that's down to battery life, interference issues or they think that they can make more money from selling an accessory ...

David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread postby David Kilpatrick » Wed May 29, 2013 12:54 pm

The Multi Function shoe has connections for just about everything. It just doesn't have the accessories yet. You should be able to add Wifi to your A99 etc in future via this shoe - including things like remote control and viewing from a smartphone (as you can already do, easily, on a Canon 6D with completely successful results).

Sony desperately needs to roll out the accessory range for the shoe.

David

mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread postby mikeriach » Fri May 31, 2013 12:24 pm

I can just imagine the A99 battery lasting for 1 hour with all the extra power drain unless the accessories have their own supply.

Mike
Only a Tamron 16-300 left sadly. Sony cannot supply what I want so rightly or wrongly I've branched out to someone who does and I'm very happy.

David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread postby David Kilpatrick » Fri May 31, 2013 12:48 pm

Got my A58 now. 2 days to deliver, and £150 cheaper than Currys/PC World, and genuine UK stock sealed box etc.

stewartjs
Initiate

Unread postby stewartjs » Fri May 31, 2013 9:55 pm

Was thinking about upgrading my A550 / acquiring a spare DSLR in case Sony A-mount disappears or ceases to be compatible with my Minolta glass. Was considering a used A580, and now this news of a new A58 for about the same price. Thought I'd made up my mind, but now ...

Any suggestions or advice welcome.

Stewart

David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread postby David Kilpatrick » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:13 pm

I've been able for once to do a lot of tests on the A58 in a short time so I have a review up. I don't really advise it as the camera is clearly built as a entry level model, and nothing like the A550 in terms of feel.

www.photoclubalpha.com/2013/06/05/2020- ... 58-review/

David

stewartjs
Initiate

Unread postby stewartjs » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:22 pm

David
As usual I found your review very useful, although in truth it only served to confirm my initial feeling that an A580 would suit my needs better than the A58, and that I made the right decision in going for it. Now all I need is time to explore its capabilities - and decide whether I need to change my Tam 17-50 for something with a longer reach as a walk-around lens. There really is no end to this G.A.S. ......
Stewart

pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread postby pakodominguez » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:14 pm

So, it is a "Recommended" or a "Just"?
;-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread postby David Kilpatrick » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:27 am

Easy, at the price I paid, it's a no-brainer - buy. But it may be a disposable camera, and it's worth noting that my A55 consistently focuses more accurately, and in lower light, than the A58 given the same lens fitted.

pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread postby pakodominguez » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:31 pm

David Kilpatrick wrote:Easy, at the price I paid, it's a no-brainer - buy./A/A But it may be a disposable camera, and it's worth noting that my A55 consistently focuses more accurately, and in lower light, than the A58 given the same lens fitted.

Well, I'm not planning on buying a camera like this -I have now what I need (what I'll need for the next couple of years, unless the NEX7 replacement is a real kick-ass). If I buy a small camera (...) it will probably be the NEX-3N+16-50 that is quite pocketable, less expensive than the RX100 but... but I don't need another camera now.

In any case, I believe digital cameras are disposable anyways, the A700/A900/A99/A77 are cameras that will last longer and that's why they cost more. The A58 and kit lens is on sale also in the USA: 550$ (+ taxes) but for 100$ more you can get the A65 (body only 650$).
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

david antony
Viceroy

Unread postby david antony » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:02 am

I was surprised to see airmiles offer a58 before it was available, so I ordered and received it a couple of week after general release. Got it as a 2nd camera and for Stephanie to try it for (show & tell) on her current show Continuum. DK’s review is spot on. I can see it been quite capable, video more than satisfactory for me. Have not had time to try out proper.

pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread postby pakodominguez » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:58 pm

I went to the Orange County (upstate NY) this weekend, where Sony has an Outlet. They happened to have, side by side, the A58 and the A390 (refurbished) and I didn't find any big difference in finishing between this two cameras -but I didn't changed lenses or any deep manipulation)
I recall the A580 built better, that's for sure. I won't expect the A58, been 2013's entry level camera, been built stronger or better than that.
Pako
------------

pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread postby pakodominguez » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:00 pm

david antony wrote:I was surprised to see airmiles offer a58 before it was available, so I ordered and received it a couple of week after general release. Got it as a 2nd camera and for Stephanie to try it for (show & tell) on her current show Continuum. DK’s review is spot on. I can see it been quite capable, video more than satisfactory for me. Have not had time to try out proper.

Hi David,

Didn't you switch systems? I recall you wanted to sell your excellent lenses...

Regards

Pako
Pako
------------

david antony
Viceroy

Unread postby david antony » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:46 am

Hi Pako

Until I received the a58 I only had 4 lens and now 5. I never thought of switching systems. If I did switch, I would give all camera’s & lenses away to good homes. ;^)
The a58 was the only Sony DSLR in the section. I was very surprised to see it. I waited a few days before I pulled the trigger.

Return to “Dealer Alerts”