Next holiday - where to?

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Next holiday - where to?

Unread post by bonneville »

We're starting our holiday plans for next year but I we would like to incorporate special photo opportunities within them.

So where should we go, and why?

We did the cruise this year (read article in Photoworld 2008 #3 here) so that's been done, but incorporating some golf would be good (for both of us) too.

Comments welcome please.
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Next holiday - where to?

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Brian, I would've suggested our part of the world, but ooops no golf :? (though we have a golf club here where everybody plays....football...)
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I'll be organizing and leading a group to Peru (Lima for a gastronomic tour, then Cuzco, Sacred Valley and Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu) next April (approximately from 4/5 to 4/14) It will be oriented to culture and photography, but I can take you to the Lima Golf Club -I don't know if we have any Golf course in Cuzco...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi bonneville, :D

We have some nice and new golf fields in Belek district of Antalya in Turkey, if you'd like to come the Mediterranean coasts for a change. :)
Here are acouple of links to some. But all tour operators in Europe and Turkey are well aware of these facilities so you can access more info on Belek Golf Resorts anywhere.

Yildiz

http://www.letoonia.com/belek/tr/golf/tat.htm

http://www.letoonia.com/belek/tr/golf/gloria.htm

peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I don' t want to hi jack this thread or start a new flame war, but as a non smoker I would like to know what has been the experience of those who have been traveling recently.

Most of the travel guides and web sites that I have been looking at ignore the matter completely. In WA only some 18% of the adult population smoke and I have become unused to being smoked over when attempting to enjoy a meal etc.
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

bonneville wrote:We're starting our holiday plans for next year but I we would like to incorporate special photo opportunities within them.

So where should we go, and why?

We did the cruise this year (read article in Photoworld 2008 #3 here) so that's been done, but incorporating some golf would be good (for both of us) too.

Comments welcome please.
Well, I guess I could put in a plug for Colorado Springs. For golf, there's The Broadmoor and Castle Pines (both have been used for national-level championships) and a fair number of less-known courses. For photography, there's mountains, the occasional valley, a few streams, and at least at the moment a fair amount of fresh snow. Given your interests, summer might be a better time to visit here though -- winter golfing is definitely only for diehards. It's not that it gets all that cold, but from what my (diehard) coworkers have said, the greens get really dry...

For peterottaway: in Colorado it's illegal to smoke in nearly all restaurants and bars (there was a grandfather clause allowing a few cigar bars and such to continue to allow smoking, but I believe in Colorado Springs there are three bars and no restaurants that allow smoking. Of those, one of the bars isn't supposed to allow smoking, but the owner has vowed that it'll continue unless they drag him away in chains. Another is a cigar bar called "15-C", that you'd never end up in by accident -- you have to go in an unmarked door along an alley, with no sign outside to indicate that it's a business at all.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

peterottaway wrote:I don' t want to hi jack this thread or start a new flame war, but as a non smoker I would like to know what has been the experience of those who have been traveling recently.

Most of the travel guides and web sites that I have been looking at ignore the matter completely. In WA only some 18% of the adult population smoke and I have become unused to being smoked over when attempting to enjoy a meal etc.
just come to Europe, but avoid Spain or Greece. In most of Europe now you can't smoke in restaurants. Shirley smokes and likes visiting Spain, because you can. I don't smoke but it has never bothered me, I grew up in the 1950s when everyone came home from work and had a gin and tonic at 6 o clock and sat down with a pipe, packet of fags or a cigar...

David
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Thanks David - I was intending to take a wander through quite a bit of Europe as I seem to be one of the small number of Australians of my generation who didn't take a couple of years off doing the Grand Tour after university.

But I can't see how I can avoid Spain and Greece I'll just have to do some more detailed planing and booking before I go to either country. Not that bothered if I miss Madrid or Athens as of the four or five Greek temples that I'm interested in, the Parthenon isn't one of them.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

My wife and I are going to do another road trip through the American Southwest, I think. We love to see the mountains, the painted deserts, the basalt-valleys and the road-side canyons. Its always fun to see the NRAO as well.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Just a few minutes ago a friend of mine dropped by. He's a heavy smoker. He had with him the NEW 'cigarette'. It's an electric device (you plug to the set to recharge it), just like a cigarette which, when inhaling, emits a burning like light at the tip, you inhale smoke (flavored steam in fact) and you are satisfied.
No pollution, no smoke, no cough, no poisoning etc.
I would definitely recommend it to all smokers. :D :idea:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Thanks everyone for suggestions, food for thought (without the smoke [[don't want to start a flame war :lol: ]])
KevinBarrett wrote:Its always fun to see the NRAO as well.
Turkey is very tempting Yildiz,
and yours sounds great too Kevin - but NRAO??
KevinBarrett

The National Radio Astronomy Observatory...you may know it as the VLA, or perhaps from its appearances in such movies as Contact and 2010: The Year We Make Contact

Pictures from long ago with my Maxxum 5 on gosh-knows-what film:

Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bonneville
Grand Caliph

KevinBarrett wrote:The National Radio Astronomy Observatory...you may know it as the VLA, or perhaps from its appearances in such movies as Contact
Oh wow! :o How spookey is that.

Right now on UK TV (Channel 5) the movie is "Contact" :o

Wasn't it from the book by Carl Sagen? I remember when I was much younger he was my absolute hero with a wonderful TV series called Cosmos.
KevinBarrett

Yes it was, so are you coming over now or what? We've got cheap gas over here... $1.57/gallon or 0.28 pounds per liter. :mrgreen:
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Sonolta wrote:...and you will see some of the most beautiful fall colors in all the world!-Sonolta
Do you mean fall colors or ... forms ... or colors on people ... cheerleaders ... :mrgreen: