SONY a900

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
malcy
Initiate

SONY a900

Unread post by malcy »

Hi, as this is my first post perhaps some of you experts out there could tell me what you really think of the sony a900. I have the a350 at the moment and have to say how much I enjoy using it, mainly for wildlife. Anyway I have an opportunity to go to the Phillipines sometime this year and would like to buy the a900 as I think its the next step up for me. Some of the reports are a bit mixed but on the whole it looks pretty good to me. I hope to be using the new 70-400mm sony G lens for shots of birds and wildlife etc.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: SONY a900

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Do not buy the A900 for birds and wildlife, it is completely wasted on wildlife tele shots - the A700 is a much better choice, will deliver the high ISO and resolution you need along with the telephoto reach. I love the A900 but it is not a wildlife camera, in contrast to the A700 which has better high ISO performance, 20% higher resolution when cropped identically, and will probably do a better job for you.

But having said that if you want an A900 for other reasons, it will do the the wildlife shots. There is one BIG advantage which few people spot. Because wildlife MOVES, it is common to get birds, animals badly centered in the frame - often you may cut bits off as the move when you shoot. The full frame, if you keep the subject centered, allows you extra space for the subject to move or your framing to be poor, and then you can compose the best framing by cropping later. So for an inexperienced wildlife shooter, it may save the day. It will do it with a bit more noise and lower actual resolution than the A700 for the same scale of subject, but the A700 demands more skill in framing and timing your shot.

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: SONY a900

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

David has the A900, I don't, so all I can say is: welcome to our wonderful forum. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr