SONY 500mm reflex F8

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
malcy
Initiate

SONY 500mm reflex F8

Unread post by malcy »

I bought this lens because my sigma 50-500mm lens developed autofocusing faults after a few months of operation. Sigma were very good in trying to fix the problem but in the end gave me a full refund. I now use the sony 500mm reflex f8 and have had some very good results with it. Its lighter and offers fairly good and sharp pics whilst hand held. the only problem I have is that in low light conditions it tends to hunt the focus and I was wondering is there anything I can do on my a350 to speed it up. Further to your replies with regard the a900, thankyou, what a great and informative site.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: SONY 500mm reflex F8

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Yes, buy an A700 or an A900 :-)

The 500mm f/8 is truly excellent on the A900 and very good on the A700. It's limited on the A350 by the AF module, and that is something which can not be changed. Keep it around, and when the A900 or a better focus system filters down to the A350 replacement or some other camera which suits you, and you will find it a useful lens to have invested in.

David
malcy
Initiate

Re: SONY 500mm reflex F8

Unread post by malcy »

Actually I intend to buy both the a700 and the a900 as my friend, who is also into photography, would only complain if I only bought one of these and as its her birthday soon. I've tried the 500mm on an a900 at Park Cameras just today and you are quite right the results being exactly what I'm looking for. I'm afraid that I'm pro Sony and it would seem that they have ruffled a few feathers in the DSLR market and although canon and nikon do produce some very good kit, I'm looking forward to the advances that sony are making. Only us, the consumers can benefit with a bit of competition, long may it continue.