Which photo site to use?

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Which photo site to use?

Unread post by Dusty »

Having just made the switch to digital I've never posted photos at any of the on-line sites. Which one is best for posting pics for people to see? I'm not looking for sales - it seems Alamy is well suited for that - but just somewhere to point friends and family to. What are the strengths and weakness of the various sites?

Thanks,
Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Which photo site to use?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

For sheer quality, pBase, but no auto watermarking as far as I know, and very little protection. I use it for files - right up to 24 megapixel - which I am willing to share with all users so they can see the quality of the images.

Most of the other sites don't have such a simple design and organise your stuff into slide shows and blogs.

Flickr can be worth using. Getty is searching through Flickr, under a deal, and offering money and contracts for the best work. This is usually no longer straight photography, and you are - like me - very much a straight shooter. Anyone who finds my pix in 100 years will not find a very artistic or clever view of the world, but they will find a totally realistic one. And Getty would not be interested, as realistic is not commercial.

David
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Which photo site to use?

Unread post by gio67 »

hi dusty, i,ve used fotki for years now and am very happy with it , i also have a pay account with flickr but rarely use it,
you can privatise any or all or as many as you want albums in fotki all with different passwords and just give the password to to whoever you want to so they can view and download them, theres lots of configurations ,,its worth a look i think you can get a free trial or something , have a look here http://www.fotki.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;