going on a cruise south america

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

going on a cruise south america

Unread post by gio67 »

from sao paulo to valparaiso chile, i,m quite confident about most of the time, but we are sailing up the chilean fjords as part of the cruise, i realise white light will be bouncing all around off the glaciers , any tips on how to handle this will be much appreciated
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: going on a cruise south america

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Hi,
By this time of the year isn't guarantee that you'll have sunny days that far in the south -I went to the Argentinean side of the Patagonia, Ushuaia included (honeymoon trip from my first marriage) and haven't get any sunny day near the cordillera and or glaciers: not good for wide panoramas, but perfect for details. Anyway: you need good lenshoods, neutral density filters and Polarizers. And check your white balance all the time.

Enjoy your trip.

BTW, when in the Argentinean Patagonia try to get "chivito" (little goat) and, in Ushuaia, Centollas (crab), and good Wine too!!! I can't tell you about the Chilean side because I never had been there yet. I heard Peruvian restaurants are the best (yews, in Chile!) :mrgreen:
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

thanks pakodominguez,
what time of year did you go, ?
i will be in those places you mentioned , thanks for the tips
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

We (wife and I) were in Chile at the end of October/November 2008 (Atacama to Patagonia) and found that most of the time I had to have +0.7 EV compensation on my A900. Pako is quite right in saying that you cannot guarantee sun in the south. The locals say that if you cannot see the mountains it's raining, if you can see the mountains, it's going to rain! Have a great trip.

Philip
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

gio67 wrote:thanks pakodominguez,
what time of year did you go, ?
i will be in those places you mentioned , thanks for the tips
I went by the end of February 2000. It was a little cold in Patagonia, and it was getting covered in our way to El Chalten and Rio Gallegos. I did The UPSALA, and Perito Moreno -but this is in the land, not by the coast. It got cold (low 40 and windy, but in Patagonia is always windy...) but sunny in Ushuaia.

You will be probably stopping by Buenos Aires/Mar del Plata, Puerto Madryn/Peninsula de Valdez, Trelew or Puerto Gallegos and Ushuaia in the Argentinean side. Madryn is a nice little town, and water isn't that cold. Peninsula de Valdez is nice and you can watch the local fauna and whales (but not all year long)

FYI I lived in Buenos Aires from 1987 to 1994, but I haven't been back visiting my friends since 2005.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

FYI I lived in Buenos Aires from 1987 to 1994, but I haven't been back visiting my friends since 2005.[
[/i]

my daughter lived in ba we have been there a couple of times and montevideo at christmas and new year 2005 was one and it was very hot.,

what time fo year do you see the whales we are going to those places you mnetioned plus a few more
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

gio67 wrote:FYI I lived in Buenos Aires from 1987 to 1994, but I haven't been back visiting my friends since 2005.[
[/i]

my daughter lived in ba we have been there a couple of times and montevideo at christmas and new year 2005 was one and it was very hot.,

what time fo year do you see the whales we are going to those places you mnetioned plus a few more
If I remember it right, from May to the end of December is the whales season in Madryn. I don't know if would be able to see them by Ushuaia if you are going during the (southern hemisphere's) summer...

Yeah, Summer in Baires is hot and humid...
Pako
------------