SONY A350 File Numbering

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
dpaultorres
Acolyte

SONY A350 File Numbering

Unread post by dpaultorres »

Hi all,

Ive got a problem with the File Numbering of my camera. I swapped the memory sticks of my point and shoot camera with my DSLR since the DSLR's stick was full. After I switched them the camera followed the numbering in the point and shoot's numbering sequence. When I put the DSLR's stick back, it still used the point and shoot's sequence. Now there are lapping when I transfer the pictures from both cameras into one folder in my computer.

Does anyone know how to ammend this?

Thanks
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: SONY A350 File Numbering

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Yes, remove all the files except one from a card. Give that file the number you want to start with (change its name). Load the card into the A350, shoot, and it will now start from after the number you just decided.

David
dpaultorres
Acolyte

Hi David,

I tried that but it didnt work. First with 5 files then after I read your reply then I tried with just one. Do I need to do something about settings?

Thanks
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Well, that's how the file numbering got changed to start with. You must - MUST - keep to exactly the same folder structure. You can't just stick files on a card. You need to shoot a pic, remove the card, rename it on your computer, then replace the card. Do not erase any enclosing folders.

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

And may I suggest also to download the files from one of your cameras in a different folder.
And... welcome to the forum. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
dpaultorres
Acolyte

Thank you all for your ideas

I have figured out how to ammend this. Sony cameras (atleast with the 3 i tried) follows the file numbering sequence of the highest value.

For example, If you place memory stick with a file named DSC08799 in a camera which just shot a file named DSC03840. The next picture you take will be DSC08800 rather than DSC03841 because it will follow the highest number possible.

I solved my problem by resetting my camera then using a memory stick with a picture in it with the file number I wanted to follow.

I hope this helps anyone who has the same problem that I had.
rogprov
Oligarch

Unread post by rogprov »

dpaultorres wrote: ... using a memory stick with a picture in it with the file number I wanted to follow.

Effectively what David said ... glad you're okay now :)
Roger
dpaultorres
Acolyte

rogprov wrote:
dpaultorres wrote: ... using a memory stick with a picture in it with the file number I wanted to follow.

Effectively what David said ... glad you're okay now :)
yea but i had to reset my camera so it starts back at 0 (zero) first. but man im sooo happy to have fixed it. it was causing me much trouble :D