Dusseldorf this weekend

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
InTheSky
Viceroy

Dusseldorf this weekend

Unread post by InTheSky »

Hello,

My job is pushing me on a plane to execute an architecture for 1 week and half tomorrow in Dusserldorf, Germany. I will only have free time on Sunday and I was wondering if someone can recommend me a good place to take picture here (I will probably not have time to look at any tourism guide book...)

I targeting to bring my A900 with me, probably 16mm(zenith) , 28mm, 50, and 100mm. (In a small bag).

I know the weather is not looking to be so sunny too. ( but temperature warmer than Montreal (actually ~ -20c here) )

With the weather and the period of the year, probably some of you know good places I should be able to visit on this day.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Dusseldorf this weekend

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I have only ever stayed in hotels in Dusseldorf when visiting trade shows in Cologne. It is an industrial city and offers the usual scenes of a sightly tired (ultra-modern in the 1960s but getting old now) German city centre.

If I had a day to spare in Dusseldorf, I would take a Rhine boat trip, there are various ones which stop en route and let you off into more interesting older small towns. Cologne is only half an hour away and the Dom cathedral there is an amazing subject, also a good zoo there right next to the river. The trains run until very late at night which means you can make a long day away from base.

I don't know how they react to photographers but the huge Bayer chemical-industrial complexes round Leverkusen and probably many I have never seen along the same lines in Dusseldorf can be dramatic - kilometres on end of processing plant, chimneys, lights at night but lots of security fences and a bewildering network of roads (I once got totally lost with a nearly empty fuel tank). I guess that if you can find some time to spare at dusk, Dusseldorf will have some impressive city and industrial scenes with lights.

David
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Make sure to have some german beer and curry sausage!

http://cliffwaterford.wordpress.com/200 ... usseldorf/
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yes, have a beer! You might find this place in Dusseldorf where I met a couple of German guys and we stood there and drank a couple or three together:

Last edited by bakubo on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

bakubo wrote:Yes, have a beer! You might find this place in Dusseldorf where I met some a couple of German guys and we stood there and drank a couple or three together:
Maybe it's easier, Henry, if you named the places you haven't been!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
InTheSky
Viceroy

Do not take to much time finding where I will be able to take beer, because I do not drink Alcohol :-).

I'm still young, but I have digestive system of an old man. In fact I cannot eat Red meat too (I'm limiting to fish and chicken). Bringing me no possibility to eat the beer with sausage :-(.

Organic food only and some exception for legume and fruits. Don't worry for me, because I'm a good cook, and usually I'm able to taste the local flavor by doing some modification to actual recipe to be able to eat it.

Many thanks for your information about the place.

I will post some picture of your recommendation when I'll be back.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I can recommend some of the German alcohol-free beers as being among the best - there is even an alcohol-free Erdinger Weissbrau. They have very strict laws (including no drinking outside hotels after 12pm, and no smoking inside hotels, which causes a dilemma for some people).

I once made the mistake of ordering a 'bauernhaus' (or should that be 'bauernhof'?) mixed grill - one large (full meal sized, for me) steak of every single type of meat they had in the place, including liver and several different sausages, steak, two types of pork (normal and ham-type cured), chicken, and lamb. I could have fed my entirely family on this order, but I was on my own attending photokina and staying out of town.

If you don't like eating a huge amount, or leaving an insulting amount on your plate, don't order a meal in a traditional German pub-bar-gasthof.

David
InTheSky
Viceroy

David Kilpatrick wrote:... Cologne is only half an hour away and the Dom cathedral there is an amazing subject...
Ho my god David ! that was a great idea to take the time to go to Koln (Cologne) . I have been there for about 6 hours, where 2hours only in the Cathedral. I have experiment the Zenith 16mm 2.8 there for the first time (I think this is my found of the year this little lens on the A900.

Here is the 100mm F/2.0 on Koln :
(little bit bigger there : http://www.pbase.com/nadeauf/image/1102 ... iginal.jpg , this is amazing how many detail is in this picture :-) ).

In the Dom cathedral with the 16mm 2.8 :

Dusseldorf 100mm F/2.0 :

I'm making some cleaning in all the pictures I have took on the 1 day and half free time I have took and I will post another soon. (work too hard there for my project).

Thank you everyone for your answers.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
InTheSky
Viceroy

OK, I have had a few more photo on the gallery of Dusseldorf and Cologne :

http://www.pbase.com/nadeauf/germany

Probably a 5 or 6 more and this will be enough for this gallery.

Waiting for your comments :-).

Regards,

Frank
Frank
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I like the way you used the townhall and the cathedral together - I have been to Cologne many times and never got that viewpoint. I'll have a look at your other files (not posted) later on, just off out now for the evening. Also, very nice colours from Cologne. It does not always glow, it can be rather dark sometimes. The Dom is awesome at night, I once stepped inside when there was a choir singing plainsong and it was lit only by very dim lights, like candles. I felt just like a mediaeval peasant would have done, except it wasn't finished in time for any mediaeval peasants to enjoy it...

David
InTheSky
Viceroy

David Kilpatrick wrote:I like the way you used the townhall and the cathedral together - I have been to Cologne many times and never got that viewpoint...
David
I have got this view point by deciding to take a walk from the bridge parallel to the one of the train station. At center of the bridge with the 100mm angle of view (thank to the old an small 100mm 2.0) everybody was fitting in the frame :-).

Map view :-)

Regards,

Frank
Frank
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Don't show me that map! I love Cologne. I have been almost every two years since 1972, one was missed. Shirley nearly always comes too, we both love the city. Back in 1972 it was like a dream to Brits - so modern, so clean, everything new, sex shops, gay bars, fur coats, amber jewellery, Marklin railways and Steiff bears... now it is old, dirty, run down, smells of sewers - and Britain is full of sex shops and gay bars, and you can't get Marklin because no-one makes model railways today anyway!

But the Alter Markt is still a great place, Papa Joes and the two Irish bars. My secret ambition is to play a folk gig in the Alter Markt and get an audience of six drunk American executives. I've seen that happen (OK, we increased the audience by two).

Cologne is where I met Herbert Keppler, Jason Schneider, Terence Donovan, David Bailey, Don McCullin and many other great people. It's also where Ryoshu (Rick) Kutani shook hands on our running the Minolta Club - and when you shake hands and make a deal with Japanese, it's for good. Sadly, the Japanese forgot. Things stopped being for life with them. But I did not. Things are for life with me.

David