V4 Firmware

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
Jake 43
Acolyte

V4 Firmware

Unread post by Jake 43 »

Hi All,
I have just purchased an A700 and Hv56AM flash unit but after downloading Gary Friedman's excellent e-book and checking the firmware, I find I have V2 still in the camera. I have followed the instructions in Gary's book and another set of directions I found in posts on this site but no matter how I try, I can't get the upgrade to take. I have tried pressing just the menu button and both the menu and the display button after placing the file on a memory card and placing it in the camera. It doesn't offer me the upgrade function. What am I doing wrong? I have tried loading the file on a clean, reformatted card but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Blown away by the A700 I'm afraid, after my Panasonic compact zoom, its a huge step forward.
braeside
Grand Caliph

Re: V4 Firmware

Unread post by braeside »

A few things to try:

1) Format card in the camera (not the computer).

2) Make sure you extract the file on your computer before transferring it to your card. (Windows double click it as it is a self extracting .exe and Macintosh double click the .zip file) . Make sure you are downloading the version appropriate to your computer platform .zip for Mac and .exe for Windows.
David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

And one more thing to add, two, in fact:
1- Make sure you have not written on the formatted card except the new firmware, and
2- After successful attempt insert another card with the last image taken with your camera, so that the counter doesn't reset to 0

Finally, welcome to the forum Jake.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Jake 43
Acolyte

Unread post by Jake 43 »

Thanks for your info. I'll go back to square one and try again following your tips and see how I go.
The lens I purchased in the package was the DT 16-105mm which is proving pretty versatile.
I had an old Contax RTS as a film camera and this feels similar in weight and feel but the results are poles apart.
It is much easier to get superb results and get an understanding of the why rather than; How did that happen?
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Jake 43 wrote:It is much easier to get superb results and get an understanding of the why rather than; How did that happen?
You have the advantage of doing your own custom developing, as well as complete info on lens, focal length shot at, speed, f-stop etc. No more "I think I was using the 80 -210 at about 160mm, f8 and 1/250th /sec."

Dusty
Jake 43
Acolyte

Unread post by Jake 43 »

V4 in successfully and all systems working.
Thanks Braeside and Dr Harout, it all worked out.
Yes, Dusty, you're right, but also big steps in trying to understand camera systems, digital imaging and processing etc.
Have downloaded Raw Therapee in addition to Photoshop Elements V7 and once I'm set up with a colourimeter will start to try and comprehend what I can and
can't do with the images I've taken.
All this material to learn about but a lot of fun in the doing I guess.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Jake 43 wrote:V4 in successfully and all systems working.
Thanks Braeside and Dr Harout, it all worked out.
Yes, Dusty, you're right, but also big steps in trying to understand camera systems, digital imaging and processing etc.
Have downloaded Raw Therapee in addition to Photoshop Elements V7 and once I'm set up with a colourimeter will start to try and comprehend what I can and
can't do with the images I've taken.
All this material to learn about but a lot of fun in the doing I guess.
So, your next step should be posting some shots. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr