Sony DSLR A350 and Sony DSLR A380 comparison questions

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
ECam
Acolyte

Sony DSLR A350 and Sony DSLR A380 comparison questions

Unread post by ECam »

Is the Sony DSLR A350 body with a Sony 18-55mm lens (or equivalent) a better buy, quality wise, than a Sony DSLR A380L (which comes with the 18-55mm Sony lens)? They both have a 14.2 MP sensor, but is the quality of the sensor on the A350 better than the sensor on the A380? Is the A350 body and construction generally better than the A380? Thanks to anyone who can clear this question up for me.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Sony DSLR A350 and Sony DSLR A380 comparison questions

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Neither the A350 nor A380 have any claim of dust or weather sealing, so you'll have to look at the biggest difference between the two cameras: the controls. The A350 will give you more dedicated buttons (an "AEL" button, for instance) with a more familiar layout to the rest of the Alpha system, whereas the A380 has been streamlined into a Point & Shoot upgrade. Many complain about the A380's grip being uselessly small and anti-ergonomic. It is not so with the A350, which has a grip styled after larger cameras which, while not as generous as an A700's grip, can still be augmented with a VG-B30AM vertical grip, which also duplicates many controls. No such accessory exists for the A380.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Have side-by-side shot with both, I can confirm that the image quality is identical. There is no loss or gain either way. The A350 feels a more solid camera but this may just be due to the size and weight. It also has a very slightly better viewfinder.

David
ECam
Acolyte

Unread post by ECam »

Made my decision about the Sony A350 vs the Sony A380 cameras. I bought the A350 and the SAL 18-55mm wide angle zoom. The A350 body was $499 and the lens was $199. I also have two Minolta zoom lenses that I used with my Minolta 3xi film camera (a 35-70mm and a 70-205mm), which was the reason I decided to buy a Sony DSLR. Both Minolta lenses work very well with the Sony body. I have had the camera only a few days and I am very surprised at how easy it is to operate. I have shot a few pictures with all three lenses and all have come out very clear and the colors are very accurate. Once I come up to speed with the camera I will post my comments, likes and dislikes, if anyone else is interested in one persons opinion of the A350. Thanks to all who answered my questions and helped me make my decision.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Glad you made your decision and you have your camera now. Enjoy and if you get some good photos feel free to post.