Formatting Memory Cards

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
Clarke
Acolyte

Formatting Memory Cards

Unread post by Clarke »

My new camera accepts CF cards and Sony Pro Duo Mk II Cards and I have one new card of each type. Whilst the manual says one should format CF cards, it does not comment on whether one should or should not format the Pro Duo Mk II card. So I think I will try to unless someone thinks /knows I shouldn't.
Another thing I would like to know is whether it is good practice to format again after each time the card data have been down-loaded/erased. I shall only be using these cards on this particular camera.
Thanks for considering this.
Clarke Jones
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Formatting Memory Cards

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Formatting any card once in a while is a good thing, but I don't think formatting it each and every time would be a wise decision.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I format my cards every time they become empty. Also, you might watch your available space after you format the card--try it on both the camera and your computer. When I format a card in the camera itself (DSLR a700 firmware v4), I have slightly more available space than when I format the card in my Windows Vista based PC.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Clarke
Acolyte

Unread post by Clarke »

Thank you Dr. Harout and Kevin Barrett for your advice.
cheers
clarke
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

KevinBarrett wrote:I format my cards every time they become empty. Also, you might watch your available space after you format the card--try it on both the camera and your computer. When I format a card in the camera itself (DSLR a700 firmware v4), I have slightly more available space than when I format the card in my Windows Vista based PC.
It is recommended to format the cards in the camera you are using because a "better compatibility" -well, the OS on an A700 and an A900 or A550 is the same, I guess it will work fine if you put your A550's formatted MS into your A900...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clarke
Acolyte

Unread post by Clarke »

Thank you for this info. and comment, Pako. I expect I will use the cards solely with my A850.
-Clarke