Aperture 2 - Practical solution or dead end for me?

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
Clarke
Acolyte

Aperture 2 - Practical solution or dead end for me?

Unread post by Clarke »

Hello. Yet another query from me. Hopefully am posting in the appropriate forum. I have no wish to upgrade my computer at this stage as for all other (non-photographic ) apps it is more than adequate for me. I would be prepared to add another 1GB RAM if this would make a significant difference. I have an Apple Macintosh 2GHz Power PC G5 iMac with 1GB RAM and it has a 17 inch monitor. The version of the OS is 10.5.8 (leopard) . To my knowledge this meets the minimum spec for Aperture 2 but is sub-optimum.
I have read that some people think the raw converter in Aperture 2 does a nice job of raw in the A900 ( My body is an A850). I also want an organiser that preserves the original data ( and I am unsure about the iPhoto 5.0.4 software that I have as, e.g. I am not sure I can rotate an image in iPhoto without loss of data). I do not anticipate having loads and loads of images to edit and I should think I do not need speed of editing.
I like the idea of Apple OS optimised software. I am also thinking of getting Pixelmator for "non-realistic" image manipulation/effects.
Any comment would be much appreciated.

-Clarke
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Aperture 2 - Practical solution or dead end for me?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Add 3GB RAM to take it up to 4GB - you will only be able to use 3GB of that, but the difference is considerable. The G5 is still pretty fast but 1GB or even 2GB RAM is not enough, most newer Mac users are opting for 4 or 8GB (the G5 has its limits).

You have a choice of Aperture 2 or Lightroom 3 (when released) which can do what you want. I prefer Lightroom, but Aperture may be half the price, which is enough to afford the extra RAM.

David
Clarke
Acolyte

Re: Aperture 2 - Practical solution or dead end for me?

Unread post by Clarke »

Thanks David. I think my machine can only take a max. of 2GB. Not 100 percent sure so will check. Would Lightroom run better on 2GB than Aperture?