Locations In Cornwall

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
Birma
Tower of Babel

Locations In Cornwall

Unread post by Birma »

We're off to Cornwall at the start of July and I'd be interested in any suggested photo locations. We'll be staying in St. Ives. On my list so far is the Eden Project and St. Michaels Mount. I'd also be interested in any suggested Cornish photo sites that may in turn provide ideas.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
stewartjs
Initiate

Re: Locations In Cornwall

Unread post by stewartjs »

Hi Birma

You'll be spoilt for choice. North Cornwall coast should give you plenty of inspiration if you're into the wilder places. Plenty of derelict engine houses against a backdrop of cliffs and the sea, that sort of thing. Looking forward to your pictures already!

Stewart
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Stewart. I hope to get plenty of time at the coast especially :D.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I used the kaolin workings to some effect for nude photographs in the 1980s for a calendar (one of the shots, the others were taken at locations across the country from the Giant's Causeway to Brimham Rocks, brick clay workings, Lake District slate quarry etc - all connected with geology and minerals for industry). The kaolin pyramids and lagoons are the most striking artificial landscape around. They look like a white desert, or a lunar landscape, but they need a figure or some focal point.

David
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

As your going to be based in St. Ives, the whole of the West Penwith area is easily reached (Land's End Peninsula) and the scenery varies greatly between the north and south coast lines. I'd suggest anywhere between Zennor to St. Just on the north and Mousehole/Lamorna to Land's End on the south coast. Botallack on the north coast has mine workings and engine houses right on the cliff edge, as does Chapel Porth, just west of St. Agnes (further east then St. Ives). There are a number of megalithic monuments inland, such as Men-an-Tol (a holed stone), that lend themselves to fresh photographic interpretation! Typical Cornish fishing villages that lend themselves to photography are Mousehole and Polperro and much further east, Boscastle. If your going to the Eden project, I’d suggest getting there near opening time as it can get very busy, even out of season, as schools across the region have trips there - and have a look through the local paper, The West Briton, as during the summer season there are frequently discount coupons available. Hope this helps, and have a great time.

Philip
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks to David and Philip for the top tips.

Philip that is a great run down - I hadn't realised that Mousehole was a real place - it is a favourite story book in our house so that is a must :D
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

Hi Birma,

Mousehole is a great place to head to, just west of Penzance and Newlyn, but like St. Ives has very narrow streets. We park on the road from Newlyn just outside of the village (for free!) - you can park on the harbour wall - but that's not recommended for the faint-hearted!

Enjoy your time with us down here in the west country!

Philip
Attachments
mousehole lights.jpg
mousehole lights.jpg (226.27 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
Mousehole Harbour.jpg
Mousehole Harbour.jpg (170.92 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
men-an-tol.jpg
men-an-tol.jpg (213.47 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
anthony_h
Acolyte

Unread post by anthony_h »

Hi Birma,

I've just come back from a week down near Truro, my first time to Cornwall and there are plenty of shots to be had. I was going mainly for the coastal shots at places like Wheal Coates mine, Bedruthan Steps, Kynance Cove, St Michaels Mount, Porth Nanven, Botallack mine, Mousehole, Godrevy lighthouse, all not far from St Ives.

I've got 16 shots in a flickr gallery, all plotted on the map so you see where they all are:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44227527@N ... 037580617/

Have a good time!

Cheers,
Ant.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very useful, thanks Ant. I'm really looking forward to it.

(Also, nice shots Philip :D.)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Back from Cornwall after a week that went very quickly. We didn't do many of the things that I thought we would - playing on the beach was too enticing :). St. Ives, where we stayed, has lots going on and great beaches. I can't believe they still allow cars in the town :shock: - the narrow cobbled streets are amazing, but not a place to mix pedestrians and motor vehicles. Here is a quick shot of the harbour at low tide. I haven't started pp'ing yet, but I think that a trip to the Eden Project will result in a shot or two for the Flowers thread :D