CF cards for A700.

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: CF cards for A700.

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Well, first of all you can get the EeePC in Windows version anyway and the newer model with larger 9 inch screen and more memory is being sold as Windows standard, Unix special order. And the EeePC comes with Windows host utility software to install its Unix, or replace it with Windows of your choice - and you can also install almost anything you like on it. I am sure it will handle Japanese, but my EeePC comes with English and two types of Chinese keyboard options only, looks like Japanese would be installed if you bought it in Japan. It reads all normal CF, flashcard, SD etc formats and cards used in the Eee are readable by our Dell PC and our Macs.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yes, I know that the EeePC is available with WinXP. I think I would prefer Linux though since it has a smaller footprint, uses less resources, and starts up/shutsdown much faster. For this type of very small pc with limited memory, not so fast cpu, and the way I would probably use it those things are important.

I did some searching and it looks like there is a Japanese input method that can be installed:

http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~apricots/scim ... howto.html

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=857&p=1
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:Yes, I am a bit concerned about reliability too, but then I started thinking that in a couple of years everyone will say it is safer to use old reliable 16gb cards instead of those 32gb, 48gb, and 64gb cards. :-) I remember not long ago when many people were saying don't use 1gb cards and to use safer 256mb and 512mb cards instead. Actually, my first memory card was 8mb. It would sure be a pain in the butt to have 16gb worth of 8mb cards. Can't even hold one cRAW file. :-) This is, of course, in no way meant to say that David is wrong. I am just putting things in a bit of perspective. It won't be long before 16gb will be considered the safe, conservative choice.
Are we there yet? :D
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

For the A700, 16GB is ideal. Sensible number of files to handle. I am using 16GB cards for the A55, A580 and NEX. We just had a SanDisk 8GB corrupt itself due to overload when shooting a sweep pan on the A55 - admittedly it was a 15Mb/s card and officially too slow for the camera. But card corruption is possible.

I've handed my 64GB CF to Richard as he is shooting with a Phase One 39 megapixel back and that eats space. I have just got a P20 on a Hasselblad and small cards just disappear in a few shots even though it is only 16 megapixels - 16-bit true depth files are huge. So my 32GB is going to be used on that for a while, and the A900 can survive with 16GB cards as it did originally.

I have no plans now to buy any cards over 16GB. I can get these for under £20 ($30) and if I lose one it is not a tragedy. If I lose a 64GB SanDisk, it's £400/$600. I thought I had lost three SD cards last week during travel, eventually found the tiny things hiding in a corner of the camera bag, but one 8GB and two 4GB - my backup cards - would only have beeen again about £20 value.

David