Wide range lens for a900

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
malcy
Initiate

Wide range lens for a900

Unread post by malcy »

Hello all, I have had a look at a Tamron 18-270 lens which would fit my a700 and was just wondering if there is something similar for the a900 Full Frame. I t would used mainly for action shots of animals in action, near and far, hence the range. Thanks
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Wide range lens for a900

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Sigma 28-300mm and Tamron 28-300mm - close matches, there's nothing which goes longer.

David
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Superzooms are a bit more limited on FF than on APS-C, but there are a few. Tokina had a 24-200, which was the widest superzoom. Tamron and Sigma have both produced 28-200 and 28-300 FF lenses, with at least one of those still in production.

Of course, if wide angle isn't your thing, there's also the Siggy 50-500!

Dusty
ianmiddy
Heirophant

Unread post by ianmiddy »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Sigma 28-300mm
If you wanted to try the Siggy for not too much outlay, Mifsuds have one for £49 at the moment...

Cheers

IDM
Pirate
Oligarch

Why not use in APS-C mode?

Unread post by Pirate »

malcy wrote:Hello all, I have had a look at a Tamron 18-270 lens which would fit my a700 and was just wondering if there is something similar for the a900 Full Frame. I t would used mainly for action shots of animals in action, near and far, hence the range. Thanks
Ahoy!

Well, the A850/A900 are dual format cameras and can used both FF and APS-C lenses, though you will have to set the mode manually via the camera menu and also use the inner framing marks, so no need to buy a Tam 18-270mm lens apart from which a one lens fits all solution is the worst thing (INO) you can do because it'll likely have both barrel and pincushion distortions at either end of the focal range and the IQ will likely be worse than the kit lens, so you'd be best advised to get the best of both types of lens such as sort WA zoom and an intermediate tele-zoom or tele-prime as IQ will be superior, though unlike APS-C format WA and UWA which are in plentiful supply from all manufacturers, the same is quite different for FF shooters. The Tam/Min 17-35mm and Tok 19/20-35mm are about the only affordable WA lenses in A-Mount with the exception of the Min AF 17-35/3.5 G which is grossly expensive unless you're OK using an M42/M39/MD/MC/Asahi Pentax MF lens type should there be any starting in the 15mm-19mm range.

Have a look at the standard viewfinder screen below with identification marks, though in APS-C mode, you'll get around 11MP which is close enough to the A700 and plenty big enough for larger prints. Just my 2 doubloons worth:

I hope this may be of use.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

To update on this, I recently had a chance to use the new Tamron 28-300mm USD zoom (ultrasonic focus motor) on a Canon adaptor on the A7 II for a day. The lens proved excellent and could be recommended for the A900, A850, A99 or indeed for the A7 series with the right adaptor. I am sure it would also have autofocused faster and more predictably on the A7R MkII.