File size/type to use for wall size prints

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
CrystinJoni

File size/type to use for wall size prints

Unread post by CrystinJoni »

Hi All

The MD at work has asked me to provide pictures for large wall prints for areas in the building(he is paying me).

I am wondering what would be the best file format for the printers, and whether the files need to be upscaled.

Bestest Wishes
Crystin
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: File size/type to use for wall size prints

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It depends on what you mean by large. I use JPEG Adobe RGB as my format, saved at level 10 quality in Photoshop. These are handled perfectly by Loxley Colour in Glasgow with excellent output. I size the image up only to 50MB approx because that's what I do with all my files for library use. This is OK for prints up to around A2, 20 x 24". Anything bigger, and you might need to use Genuine Fractals 5 to get a good result but it is very dependent on the type of image being resized. Personally, though I have the program, I never use it as I find it can make many shots look artifical - like painting by numbers.

David
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

When you shoot do you also shoot a raw with the jpg? or do you convert raw to jpg in the first step then work on the jpg after that? this is an interesting subject for me because my father in law wants a print of a harbour scene that could be 24-36" long but not proportionally wide, like a banner. some printer where he lives told him they could blow up his shots from his 4mpix camera for it, but I have a feeling he will be disappointed in that and I may drive down and shoot it for him.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

For large reproduction I always work from raw, but JPEGs can be surprisingly good. I doubt that a 4 megapixel consumer camera is really going to make a good 36 inch wide print. You should reshoot the pic properly, maybe even do a panoramic stitch from two frames.

David
CrystinJoni

Unread post by CrystinJoni »

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. I always shoot RAW, sometimes with JPEG in addition, and am using the A700. The size will be approximately 5ft by 3ft panels, looking at a few that in our office. I am assuming that the printers will tell me what they need, but checking just in case I need to decide.

Bestest wishes
Crystin
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

CrystinJoni wrote: The size will be approximately 5ft by 3ft panels, looking at a few that in our office. I am assuming that the printers will tell me what they need, but checking just in case I need to decide.
Hello,

Are you printing on photographic paper (C prints) or inkjet? for a 3x5ft (90x150 cm? 24x36 inches?) upsizing your file to 200 dpi will be enough if you print on photographic paper. Most of the photo labs have their own printer profile for download, so you can "soft proofing" on Photoshop before placing your order.

One more thing, Printers use sRGB as default color space. You better stick to this if you don't want any surprise.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;