Sigma 500mm Lens

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
mark111
Initiate

Sigma 500mm Lens

Unread post by mark111 »

Amazon are selling this lens for £680, can anyone offer any info on this lens if its any good or not ? I have a Sony a230 but a bit frightened incase the lens will be a bit much for the camera to cope with
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-150-500mm ... 65KHJU9LAO

Mark
mvanrheenen

Re: Sigma 500mm Lens

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

mark111 wrote:Amazon are selling this lens for £680, can anyone offer any info on this lens if its any good or not ? I have a Sony a230 but a bit frightened incase the lens will be a bit much for the camera to cope with
Why would you think that? This lens will work most work on your camera, just as any a-mount lens. Only thing you should mind is the weight of the lens. You should not carry such a lens by holding the camera, but by holding the lens. If you don't, chances are the mount or contacts on the mount will fails due to the weight of the lens. The mount on the camera isn't made to carry such a weight.

You always could give Amazon a call and ask them for the kind of return policy they have for these sales. Maybe that would ease your mind.

Can't tell you a lot about the lens, other than the things I read about it. You can find examples of images taken with the lens on Flickr. More info about the lens can be found on Dyxum.

Mark
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

My mate uses this on his Nikon D80 and is very happy with the results.
Don't expect lightning fast responses and as it is a relatively slow lens it may hunt a bit in low light situations.
I have the Sony 70-400G which is superb.

Cheers,
Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

mikeriach wrote:I have the Sony 70-400G which is superb.
Me too, but you're talking about a whole other price range then the Sigma.