Do you use a flash bracket?

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
Wirralpix
Acolyte

Do you use a flash bracket?

Unread post by Wirralpix »

Although I own a very good flashgun for my camera, I don't use it as often in daylight as I should do, but I've recently observed both a keen amateur and a professional using their flashguns mounted on a flash bracket. How many of you use a flash bracket and what benefit do you get from using one apart from maybe having a better balanced camera?

George
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Do you use a flash bracket?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It's possible to do so, but Minolta and Sony have never made a proper bracket for the new hotshoe system. The very last models were made for the 9000 AF (CG-1000 etc) and 4000AF flash, and since then you have had to rig your own with shot adaptors (the cable is still made, or find a vintage Minolta Cable OC, to hold your flash without using wireless). The new 58 flash almost eliminates the need for a bracket. I often just hold the flash in one hand and the camera in the other.

David
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Do you use a flash bracket?

Unread post by Javelin »

Thats what i've been doing, I thought it would be awkward but to be honest I don't think I'd like a bracket now after doing that by hand for a while. Today I even put the flash on my monopod and held it high up above the subject and it really worked to eliminate the shadows that the ambient was casting on a wall. But the flash gets heavy after a few minutes on and outstretched arm and 5' of monopod beyond that so I didn't take many shots that way.
David Kilpatrick wrote: The new 58 flash almost eliminates the need for a bracket. I often just hold the flash in one hand and the camera in the other.

David