CZ 24-70 problem, opinions welcome

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
picman
Heirophant

CZ 24-70 problem, opinions welcome

Unread post by picman »

I will post this alongside the other post about problems with the 16-80 because it seems to be a similar problem and because I think it is sufficiently important to make two posts about.

I have recently purchased the 24-70 CZ and whereas I am extremely happy with the optical performance of this lens I am disappointed by the mechanical finish. My copy's inner tube has far too much play. When walking about with the camera around my neck I can hear the inner tube clicking against the outer tube with every step I take. When mounting the camera on a tripod and holding camera and outer tube really steady, you can move the inner tube up/down/sideways to an extent that the movement is visible in the viewfinder. So, in spite of the fact that I have not really been able to see this in my pictures, since by gravity the bottom of the inner tube rests on the inside of the outer tube when shooting it is probably not perfectly aligned and the lens hence not perfectly perpendicular to the sensor. I have contacted a lot of fellow owners of the 24-70 at dyxum and most claim their lens has no play at all, some say just a little but absolutely not enough to see it in the viewfinder.

My dealer is getting me another copy next week, so I'll see in what state that one is.

However all this brings me to a crucial point where I am going to have to make decisions.

1. Reading about the problems with lenses and bodies on all the forums I have the distinct impression that the QC of Sony is not what it should be, especially with their CZ line. Those lenses at those prices should be perfect! The 24-70 costs almost double of the a700 body! I have never experienced any problem at all with either Contax bodies or Carl Zeiss lenses in the past. My Contax CZ S-Planar 60mm 2.8 macro triples in length when fully extended and there is NO play at all in the tubes.

2. I am really shocked by the unresponsiveness of Sony (I too contacted them by via their website and no reply so far). Go to http://www.sony.net/Products/dslr/a_link.html then click your region (in my case Belgium) then you get to http://campaign.odw.sony-europe.com/fla ... index.html, choose your language (:-)) and the you get to http://www.sony.be/lang/nl/article/id/1 ... 589/page/1. The second page clearly indicated Alpha, but when you get to the third page you land again in the site for all their consumer products from TV to notebooks and all the rest. I am NOT interested in that, I want a dedicated up-to-date site with all the info I need and with easy contact possibilities. Instead you are sent around in circles probably to end up with some PR person knowing nothing about cameras anyway who does not bother to answer. Then I went to have a look over at the Nikon site. What a difference!

So here I am. I had dedicated myself to the Sony alpha line, as I said in my first post, because of the CZ lenses, and now this is my first experience. I am seriously considering moving over to Nikon.

Anyone who want to give me their point of view? Am I overreacting?

Cheers, Bob.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: CZ 24-70 problem, opinions welcome

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The Nikon lenses are definitely better made than the Sony CZ, but they can also be inconsistent. I have now used three 24-70mm f2.8 examples, and the third one was softer and misfocused more often. Also, although they are very good lenses, they don't have that unique combination of high contrast and high resolution present in the CZ designs.

I think the problem at Sony is that the Zeiss QC operator checks the optical units, but not the final assembly into a finished mount.

David
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

Thanks a lot for responding David.
David Kilpatrick wrote:The Nikon lenses are definitely better made than the Sony CZ, but they can also be inconsistent. I have now used three 24-70mm f2.8 examples, and the third one was softer and misfocused more often.
Do you mean 3 Nikkor 24-70 lenses here? I handled both a D700 and the Nikkor 24-70 at my dealer's and yes especially the lens feels better made. But actually I have no problem with my lens except the play of the inner tube. And the problem there is that logically it must ensue that this lens is therefore not able to perform at its best in the sharpness department, or am I wrong?
Also, although they are very good lenses, they don't have that unique combination of high contrast and high resolution present in the CZ designs.
I certainly know what you mean about the contrast and resolution in the CZ lenses. Also, I simply love the a700, so I want to stay where I am, but the whole thing is just a bit of a disappointment.
I think the problem at Sony is that the Zeiss QC operator checks the optical units, but not the final assembly into a finished mount.
David
You mean Mr J. Koike?? Maybe it is worthwhile to let those people at Sony who are in charge of the DSLR department know of our concerns about QC.

I am going to Photokina and will certainly try to use that opportunity to express my concerns. I understood that you are going too so maybe we might meet.

Cheers, Bob.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Yes, I'll be there, probably haunting the Sony stand for a bit on Tuesday.

I did mean three different samples of the new 24-70mm Nikkor. They sent me this lens to test on the D300, D3 and D700 - same lens type, different actual copy each time. The one sent with the D700 was not as good as the one for the D3. Of course, I can not tell if the one sent with the D300 was good or bad as I only saw the centre frame.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

picman wrote:
Anyone who want to give me their point of view? Am I overreacting?

Cheers, Bob.
Nope.

Do you remember the "PASSED" sticker back in the time japanese cameras and lenses were made in japan?
(ref: http://www.photonotes.org/cgi-bin/view.pl?letter=!
"Gold oval-shaped stickers reading PASSED and JCII indicate that the camera has passed quality control inspections by the JCII (Japan Camera Industry Institute)."
Well: it's over.

I know an Adorama customer, Nikon user, that ask for all the samples in stock before he buy a lens -he try (look, heard, feel...) 4 or 5 lenses before he pick the one he consider good. Or he wait until the next delivery if he doesn't feel confortable with the samples he inspected. I think he's right.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

Thanks for your reaction pakodominguez. Will post the outcome of it all as soon as I have received the new copy. Unfortunately it was not in stock so it might be a few weeks before the new one is there. So a scenario where I could try several and choose the one which feels best certainly is not on the table :?

Cheers, Bob.