Posting Images

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
MickH
Initiate

Posting Images

Unread post by MickH »

This is inevitably a dumb question so sorry.

I can't find any instructions on how to post an image on this forum. I assume that I simply attach a file using the facility I see below this post for example. However what are the size limits? (both pixel dimensions and file size). Any preferred format? (jpg/tiff for example).

On other fora I've seen 'stickies' that explain these things but I'm afraid that I can't find the equivalent here. Said I was dumb didn't I.

MickH
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Posting Images

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

First question: do you upload your pictures on a hosting site such as Flickr, Smugmug, Photobucket, Picasa etc. ?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
MickH
Initiate

Unread post by MickH »

No I don't.

I managed to post the fungus picture by uploading as an attachment.

I do have 'on net' storage to which I could link if I knew how. Links to that work but there's no public access as such.

Do you know of any rules about file size?

MickH
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Mick,

I think the size limit is something around 1000 pixels in either direction and 250k for attachments. That's what I typically use.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The limit is actually 1024 pixels square and 250kb, but I advise just using 1000 pixels as some members report trying 1024 and finding it rejected the upload.

David
MickH
Initiate

Unread post by MickH »

Thanks once more David.

As an 'acolyte' I hesitate to make suggestions but I would have found it helpful if that information was to be easily found somewhere.

I looked for a 'sticky' and also looked in the FAQ's but couldn't find it (but I'm well known for overlooking the obvious!).

MickH
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

MickH wrote:
I looked for a 'sticky' and also looked in the FAQ's but couldn't find it (but I'm well known for overlooking the obvious!).

MickH
Hi Mick,

Try the big orange button on the top left of the forums index page saying FAQ ;-)

Mark
MickH
Initiate

Unread post by MickH »

Hi Mick,

Try the big orange button on the top left of the forums index page saying FAQ ;-)

Mark
Mark,
I did exactly that but if the information is there I couldn't find it. If it is there and I've missed it I'd be very grateful if you would tell me where.

MickH
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The size limit is actually given in the blurb which appears right on the front of the Forum, under Aster's Photo Challenge.

I think there is an issue in that very old posts and info disappear. I will see if there's a setting which can correct this. Some old threads have been pruned but this should not affect standing info.

David
MickH
Initiate

Unread post by MickH »

Thanks yet again David (I seem to be doing nothing but thanking you since I joined :D ).

I certainly did miss that bit of info. Even that, though, gives the pixel limits without the corresponding file size limit.

RGDS
MickH