MAxxum 9 SSM Mod

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
NealS
Initiate

MAxxum 9 SSM Mod

Unread post by NealS »

I am interested in buying a Maxxum 9 to go with my Maxxum 7 and 5 film cameras.

Is there some way to tell, prior to purchase, if the camera has been SSM modified? As the transaction is likely to be via the net I will not have a chance to try out the camera prior to purchase.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: MAxxum 9 SSM Mod

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Though I cannot answer your question, but I couldn't resist seeing that this is your first post.
So welcome to the forum.
I'm sure you'll get an answer to your query here.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You can only ask. If the vendor does not know, it's too late now to get the mod done as far as I am aware. This is one reason why the Dynax 7 is a safer secondhand buy. Also, there may be problems with Dynax 9 repairs in future - it uses parts which are in short supply, and I believe Konica Minolta said before they shut down that future support for the Dynax 9 was not guaranteed. They had, by that time, stopped repairing any 9000AF or Dynax 9xi bodies. Most repairs are now by independent workshops which have a store of broken cameras to cannibalise. I don't think there are many broken Dynax 9s around.

David
NealS
Initiate

Unread post by NealS »

Thanks for the reply David. Actually I was hoping that some sort of a code would show up when switching on the Maxxum 9 to indicate an upgraded camera, as is the case with certain digital appliances.

By the way, I had heard that a repair shop in Germany was still doing SSM upgrades. Do you have any further info on this?

The reason I wanted the 9 is because of its weather sealing and general ruggedness. Otherwise, I agree that the 7 is a better bet at this point in time.
David Kilpatrick wrote:You can only ask. If the vendor does not know, it's too late now to get the mod done as far as I am aware. This is one reason why the Dynax 7 is a safer secondhand buy. Also, there may be problems with Dynax 9 repairs in future - it uses parts which are in short supply, and I believe Konica Minolta said before they shut down that future support for the Dynax 9 was not guaranteed. They had, by that time, stopped repairing any 9000AF or Dynax 9xi bodies. Most repairs are now by independent workshops which have a store of broken cameras to cannibalise. I don't think there are many broken Dynax 9s around.

David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It is possible that the former KM Germany facility can still do it. That was two years ago. You could find out in the UK by asking JP Solutions - [email protected].

David
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

JP were certainly offering the mod earlier this year, as I enquired about having my 9 done - that was until I realised how little film I put through it over the previous year (none!) and sold it instead. JP were quoting around the £100 mark, but as stated in a previous post, it was going to have to go on a trip to Europe!

Philip
Jeff Pittman
Acolyte

Unread post by Jeff Pittman »

Runtime in Germany is still able to perform the SSM upgrade (I am having mine done now) for $300 USD ($200 euros). However, they won't/can't accept shipments from the U.S.A. only from the E.U. So, you need to hand deliver it to Germany or find someone you can ship it to in Germany who can deliver it to Runtime. They don't have many parts left for the upgrade so if you want to do this I wouldn't wait long. Zoomtron in Canada was the other option but they ran out of parts.

There is a way to tell if a Maxxum 9 has been upgraded. The custom codes are changed (increased in number) during the process. Sorry I can't provide specifics but I lost the e-mail that included the details. You might be able to find it somewhere on the internet. Most dealers and owners don't seem to have any idea if the camera was upgraded (unless they are the original owner and can confirm it has not been upgraded). Hope this helps. - Jeff
NealS
Initiate

Unread post by NealS »

I want to thank all who responded to my query.

I have now heard from JPS. They are unable to accept cameras from outside the the EU. A shame, for the 9 was such a nice film camera.

I will go looking for another 7 now.
AJ Gressette
Initiate

Unread post by AJ Gressette »

Jeff Pittman wrote:Runtime in Germany is still able to perform the SSM upgrade (I am having mine done now) for $300 USD ($200 euros). However, they won't/can't accept shipments from the U.S.A. only from the E.U. So, you need to hand deliver it to Germany or find someone you can ship it to in Germany who can deliver it to Runtime. They don't have many parts left for the upgrade so if you want to do this I wouldn't wait long. Zoomtron in Canada was the other option but they ran out of parts.

There is a way to tell if a Maxxum 9 has been upgraded. The custom codes are changed (increased in number) during the process. Sorry I can't provide specifics but I lost the e-mail that included the details. You might be able to find it somewhere on the internet. Most dealers and owners don't seem to have any idea if the camera was upgraded (unless they are the original owner and can confirm it has not been upgraded). Hope this helps. - Jeff
How do you know if a Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 9/9Ti has the ADI/SSM Update?

Well the fist and most obvious would be attach an SSM Lens. Let’s say you don’t have an SSM Lens and you want to know.

The Minolta 9 has a total of 21 Custom Functions which can be changed. Custom Function 20 on an updated 9 has 4 settings or values. Non Updated cameras have just 3 values.
Hey this looks dangerous.......You go first!
If at first you do not succeed, Skydiving is not for you.
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

Can we ban this 'Armory1519' clown? Please!?

-- Olaf