Buying a Peleng 8mm

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
Matt_Atkinson
Acolyte

Buying a Peleng 8mm

Unread post by Matt_Atkinson »

Ok, so I've decided to buy a Peleng 8mm fisheye for my A100, I've read some reviews and it looks to be a pretty decent lens. I'll mostly be using it as a bit of a toy, and to create some artsy shots.

My question is, where is the best place to buy one? Any experiences with online sellers/ebayers? It looks like it's going to have to come from abroad, so I thought I'd check out the best place. Also, anything special I should look for?

Cheers :)
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Buying a Peleng 8mm

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Take great care. I threw mine away in the end. The focus was impossible to get any further than 20cm with any adaptor - theirs or third party - after a month or two of use. If you have access to metal turning facilities, and can thin down an M42-Alpha adaptor as required, it would be a safe bet.

David
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

There seem to be quite a few on Ebay at the moment.....
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__peleng-f ... _fromfsbZ0
although only one claims a Minolta fit, the others say a M42 mount and adapter will make it work.
But you know that anyway :wink: :wink: :wink:
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
Matt_Atkinson
Acolyte

Unread post by Matt_Atkinson »

Hmm, don't fancy the idea of the focus mechanism going :shock: - although I live next door to a camera fixers if that did happen.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can set the Peleng to f8 and have pretty much everything in focus? Never used a fisheye, so I dunno how true this is, something to do with the short focal length?
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

If thats a fixed 8mm why is there so much diference in the fisheye effect from one picture to the next? is it the distance from the subject? or some other factor? they all seem very sharp.