Anyone been to Peru lately?

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
chriznatch
Initiate

Anyone been to Peru lately?

Unread post by chriznatch »

I just learned that Peru charges a hefty fee if you try to bring more than one digital camera into the country. I was planning to bring an a57 and an NEX-5N on an upcoming hike in Peru, but I guess I'll have to leave one at home. I just read an old post on another forum that suggested that Peru also charges a fee if you try to bring more than one lens. Does anyone know if that's the case? It really doesn't seem right based on what I've read on the internet. That said, I would hate to show up with an a57 and a bunch of lenses and get socked with a big tax. If I can only bring one lens, I might just leave the a57 at home and travel light with the NEX 5N. Any info on the rules re lenses would be appreciated.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Anyone been to Peru lately?

Unread post by pakodominguez »

If you are Peruvian, coming back to the country, you'll probably need to pay taxes for your equipment. I guess professional equipment needs to be declared. But that's it. I've been going back to Peru at least once a year for the last 4 years and never paid for my equipment. You can take one computer AND one tablet, but if you take two computers or tablets, you'll need to pay -now they scan everybody at customs...

In other hand, if you are going to Macchu Picchu and you shows up with a big lens (70-200 or 70-400) they will ask you to pay a sort of "professional fee". Last time I went to Macchu Picchu I left the 70-200 (Tamron) at the hotel because I was leading a group of people and I wanted to avoid any conflict; and use only the 17-35 f2.8-4 and the 28-75 f2.8. The 70-200 would be nice for some close up pics I took, but the 28-75 is a good performer. One of the guys of the group had a Canon 70-200 f4, that is not as big as the f2.8, and he didn't took it out of his bag until we were inside the ruins.

If you need more information about Peru, including tour operators, send me a PM.

Enjoy your trip!
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chriznatch
Initiate

Unread post by chriznatch »

Thanks Pako. I think I'll go with the a57 and a few extra lenses. I'll leave the NEX at home, and hopefully I won't drop the a57 during a hike. It's very odd, because the Peruvian customs declaration form (at least the version published online) seems to limit travelers to one digital camera and two memory cards. Anything beyond that, if I'm reading the form correctly, seems to trigger a duty. That would be a real bummer, because I prefer to use a number of smaller memory cards so that I don't lose all my pictures if a card gets corrupted. I would be very nervous if limited to two larger memory cards. But I'm encouraged to hear that you've had no issues on your many trips. I also appreciate the advice on Macchu Picchu. I guess I'll rely on the CZ 16-80, and leave the 18-250 in the hotel, when we hit Macchu Picchu.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

chriznatch wrote:Thanks Pako. I think I'll go with the a57 and a few extra lenses. I'll leave the NEX at home, and hopefully I won't drop the a57 during a hike. It's very odd, because the Peruvian customs declaration form (at least the version published online) seems to limit travelers to one digital camera and two memory cards. Anything beyond that, if I'm reading the form correctly, seems to trigger a duty. That would be a real bummer, because I prefer to use a number of smaller memory cards so that I don't lose all my pictures if a card gets corrupted. I would be very nervous if limited to two larger memory cards. But I'm encouraged to hear that you've had no issues on your many trips. I also appreciate the advice on Macchu Picchu. I guess I'll rely on the CZ 16-80, and leave the 18-250 in the hotel, when we hit Macchu Picchu.
The 18-250 is not really a big lens (unless extended), It will be harder with a 70-200 2.8 or the 70-400.
If you gonna hike the Inka trail, the porters take your backpack, but you need to carry your camera and gear, so better to travel light anyways. In any case, the less ostentation you make, the better, because that will allow you also to get closer to local people.

As I told you before, customs at the airport will scan any single bag, but since you are not Peruvian, I don't think they will bother you because the extra camera or many smalls memory cards. In Lima or Cuzco you can buy Memory cards if needed (price wise is like buying them at Staples or best Buy and not at Adorama or B&H) or even better: right after the Passport check, there is a Duty Free (no joke...) and you can probably buy memory cards (not the fancy ones...) there.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;