a700,SAL70-300 and airshows.

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
ruthless
Initiate

a700,SAL70-300 and airshows.

Unread post by ruthless »

Being a neophite to shooting airshows ( I usually shoot fishermen), I gave one my best with the above combination. Got lots of great shots including this one.
THis is a cropped picture.

What are your favorite camera settings for shooting airchows with this or similar lenses.?
Cory "ruthless" Routh
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: a700,SAL70-300 and airshows.

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Never tried, but your shot is great imho. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Wow - is it just reaching the speed of sound?
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Nice shot. always good to see the shock diamonds. This was shot with the big beercan (minolta 75-300)

http://www.uranium-238.com/~stf/Glenn/2 ... 5_0113.jpg

Sized it a little too big to post here unfortunatly
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Yes i'm not sure that first shot is close to the sound barrier or not. it could just be the attitude thats causing the water to condense. you rarely see them making a sonic boom at airshows these days. especially near cities (too many windows to break and car alarms to set off) It's an awesome thing to hear though as you listen to it roll by. the OP would know being there..
ruthless
Initiate

Unread post by ruthless »

It is water vapor, extreme pressure changes over the wing causes the cloud, like opening a soda. It was subsonic, but still fast.

The shot was cropped and "saved for web" on adobe. So not much exif. Original file is extra fine jpg, full size on the 700. Being I am new to this, used the "Sports" setting on th 700.
Cory "ruthless" Routh
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Maybe... usually you see a large sudden shock like in your navy pictures. sometimes though there is nothing at all. I was stationed with 3 wing in Baggottville (yes that a real base name) for 6 weeks while in the reserves and we used to hear the voodoos hit it every day practically. man they were a LOT louder than anything flying these days. Used to hear the starfighters in Cold Lake too but there were not nearly as loud. even 5 miles away all the old base buldings would rattle like an earthquake. It's no wonder Cities don't like that happening aroud them