Photokina

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
picman
Heirophant

Photokina

Unread post by picman »

Hi David,

Is anything foreseen with regard to feedback from Photokina? I am thinking about something similar to what they did on the Leica forum. Would be great.

Cheers, Bob.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Photokina

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Maybe not. Sony introduced no new lenses - but my contact, Paul, had only just arrived. We went round the stand together, he was finding out stuff as we went. I spent about an hour overall on the stand, but the only new things were very tangential - lots of effort was put into the A900, with a working studio etc. Pretty much everything to do with Sony at photokina is already being discussed and has been for a week. I will have a short report up soon.

David
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

So did they even bring the mockups out for yet another show? Or did they finally retire them?

It's pretty disappointing to not see more news, or some new mockups or something. They are basically shoving the A900 on the market with very little lenses, accessories to support it.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

They think the 24-70mm is the key to sales. I had to tell them that a 24-70mm is next to useless for me. Too many things I photograph need more than 70, without having to carry two lenses all the time. A 24-120mm would be needed to compete with the versatility of the CZ 16-80mm, on the full frame, but they have no plans to do that.

One thing I don't understand is that on APS-C, I really did not use my 11-18mm all that much despite 17-20-24mm being my main lenses back in film days. Now I'm using the A900, I love the 17-35mm and reckon it's on the camera more than half the time. I am back to seeing the world in the wide angle I used to. The 16-35mm is supposed to be going out for use with an Aussie professional who corresponds with me, next week. I thought it was not a finished design. I hope it's much better than the prototype (or maybe not - because my 17-35mm is better than the prototype 16-35mm, and I already own it!).

David
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

I want to see that 4/24-105G That for me is the perfect FF lens.

I'm managed ok with 17-35 and 28-75 covering me on APS. That would be the one lens solution. I don't think I need the 105-120 of a longer lens. It would also mean it wouldn't be a straight F4 and would be bigger/heavier.

I hope they don't make the 4/24-105G silver (gah what a train wreck), maybe that's why it didn't show up, they wanted to check the waters on silver first.

I'd be perfectly happy with that as my all around lens on a A900, then just want a ultra wide prime to go with it. I like Pentax's DA 4/15, just a tiny thing. If Sony could bring us something in the 14-18 range in F4 so it's small and light, that would be perfect.

Then just give me the darn 24mm TS all ready.

I think lenses like the F2.8 ZA zooms are nice, and they are definitely important. But for me, the need for them on FF goes way down. As the F4s get you the same DOF, and they typical ISO advantage of FF's make up for any speed loss. If they did the 24-105 and 24TS I'd be sticking with Sony no problem. I still would keep the KM 28-75 when ever I need something a bit faster.

Unless the 24-105 isn't true, I'm surprised Sony is even attempting to bring the A900 to market without that lens.
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

A question though, since you were there, did you by Chance pick at the origins of the ZA lenses any more than others have? Who does what, who made what in them, where they are final assembled/who is doing it.

I really wish Sony would just say exactly who and what is happening there. As is, anti-Sony folks will continue to try to make the lenses out to be "not true zeiss" lenses. Saying nothing only gives this idea life. If it's true, it's not a big deal. But if they were to say "Zeiss in germany designs all the ZA lenses, some optical parts are made in germany, final assembly is done by Sony and Zeiss in Japan in a Sony plant with Zeiss oversight" That would shut a lot of folks up. While impressing people at the same time and add psychological value added qualities to the lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

They have never made any public statement on this, but Zeiss definitely does design the lenses in Germany and the lenses are made in Japan (right now). I'll try to get a statement.

David
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Nice,

I'd be curious if anything gets fabbed in germany, even rough blanks of glass.

But just knowing how or where they come together would just be nice to know. It doesn't change the end lens, that's all dictated by the design and QA/QC but just to close the loop on them would be nice to know. I'm sure many would like to know.

I've grown old of some more famous DPR trolls who continuous spew there "knowledge" about how makes them, even he changes his story weekly.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

PhotoTraveler wrote:I'm sure many would like to know.
I'm one of them. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr