Sony E PZ 18-105G with a7 or a7R NON-crop mode?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony E PZ 18-105G with a7 or a7R NON-crop mode?

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Well adding a space will defeat the point of having a close to sensor system camera (ie supposedly smaller lenses)
Like many I've seen optical issues even back in 35mm days with compacts (even better quality ones) and rangefinder cameras.

So it didn't surprise me to see makers struggling more with optical issues (distortion and vignetting the 2 most common ones) and we're likely to see a reliance on software to try to correct that.

This lens though has very unusual and strong pincushion distortion it's very significant when zooming in, more so than you would expect even from an ILC design lens.
My point is..well simply put there are no free rides around. Some folks have been beating the mantra about the advantages of ILC cameras and lenses (and there are some) but let's not forget there are also downsides too.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Re: Sony E PZ 18-105G with a7 or a7R NON-crop mode?

Unread post by Mark K »

I bought this lens...at a price of 400UKP. At that moment I thought the price was a steal. Well it is beautifully crafted...and looks great. Image quality does not surprise me at all. Maybe it is a good lens....on Nex cameras.. I gave it to my brother on a Nex shortly
I have never tried to use it on a FF mode on my A7...looking at the the small rectangular plastic I believe it will definitely produces dark corners...