has anyone seen a review of the Tamron 18-250 vs. 18-270?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Yagil Henkin
Heirophant

has anyone seen a review of the Tamron 18-250 vs. 18-270?

Unread post by Yagil Henkin »

I'd be very interested. I'm into buying one of those two in several months to serve as an all-in-one backpacking lens. If the IQ would be better, I'd go with the 18-270. If it would be similar (or worse, of course) I'll go with the lighter 18-250. I understand that the 18-270 is shipping, but didn't find any comparison between the two.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: has anyone seen a review of the Tamron 18-250 vs. 18-270?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The 18-270mm is not out in Sony Alpha mount yet as far I know. It may be shipping in Nikon and Canon though. It is going to be available in Alpha but like the 10-24mm, the other mounts have been scheduled first.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

If and when the 18-270mm comes out in Sony mount I sort of doubt that it will have the VC mechanism. Probably no price reduction when they leave it out though.

I have a side question about this though. When Tamron VC lenses and Sigma OS lenses are released without VC/OS in Sony mount do they just remove the elements, fix them in place, or replace them with different elements? I suppose that the overall lens formula takes into account the VC/OS elements so you can't just remove them without changing the other lens elements too. Is that right?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I presume they just fix the elements centered. The Sigma lenses in non-OS version for Pentax and Sony cost exactly the same, and are exactly the same size, as the non-OS variants. Same will apply, we assume, Tamron. And it certainly will not appear in a VC version for Sony and Pentax!

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

There is a third lens to consider; the Sony 18-250

The Sony lens gains circular aperture blades as well as faster auto focusing over its Tamron twin. I think there were one or two other advantages that the Sony had over the Tamron, but I can't remember and can't find the article that compared them. If the Tamron 18-270 has better optics and wins against the Tamron 18-250, then there's still the little matter of comparing it to the Sony for those small (but important) mechanical differences.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --