TOKINA AT-X 80-200 F2.8 any good?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
kysham
Heirophant

TOKINA AT-X 80-200 F2.8 any good?

Unread post by kysham »

Hi, I got offered a Tokina AT-X 80-200mm F2.8 lens (with red ring, not the gold ring version, i.e. not the AT-X PRO version) for a reasonably good price (will not disclose publicly). I had searched through the database in dyxum and found relatively little user feedbacks on this lens. Whatever limited feedback, however, indicates a pretty good (if not stellar) performance. Wondering if any member(s) in this forum have any experience with this particular lens and what are the limitations (read: Potential Problems) I should be expecting. Any form of feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :D
kysham
Heirophant

Re: TOKINA AT-X 80-200 F2.8 any good?

Unread post by kysham »

Sonolta wrote:I own the 80-200 ATX-Pro 2.8, and while it is built like a tank, it demonstrates a pretty good amount of CA/PF opened up on high contrast edges, and it back focuses on my digital bodies. It's a little soft wide open, but it sharpens up fairly quick, and the bokeh this lens delivers is OK but it's not great.

-Sonolta
Thanks Sonolta! :D

OK.Gotta check backfocus & CA/PF. I do expect it to be a bit soft wide open at f2.8 though. Even the new Tamron 70-200 F2.8 which I tested on a Nikon D200 body was soft at f2.8... By what aperture will the Tokina sharpens up? And how about the AF speed? Fast enough? (Not comparing to SSM though...)
kysham
Heirophant

Unread post by kysham »

I tested out the lens, but never bought it.... :( It wasn't what I hoped it to be so I politely apologized to the owner and said I can't take it because it cannot do what I want. The owner understands and was gracious in accepting that I'm not going to buy the lens. It indeed has a very good tank-like built quality. But the CA was just too much for me to bear.... :(
lattiboy
Initiate

Unread post by lattiboy »

I had this lens (gold-ring version) and was disappointed overall. Speed was good, but it was very soft below f/4 or so and has CA out the whazoo! For the sheer size and weight I thought it should've performed much better. After a few Tokina experiences like this I wish they'd stop making blunt-force weapons and actually invest in optical quality.
alanscape
Acolyte

Unread post by alanscape »

Having owned and used this lens together with the Vivitar series 1 70-210mm (Tokina made version) I would say that although all are good lenses, if you want
(not just my opinion) the best 70-210 to come from the '80's the Tamron SP 70-210mm beats the lot. email me and I'll sent some test shots.
Tamron adaptall 2 mounts for Sony/Minolta aren't cheap but there seems to be a few more on ebay than is usual.
Andrew Alan [email protected]
kysham
Heirophant

Unread post by kysham »

I went ahead and bought the new Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG Macro HSM instead. :mrgreen:
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Congratulations and happy shooting. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr