Sigma Big Lenses

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
ruthless
Initiate

Sigma Big Lenses

Unread post by ruthless »

I am looking for a lens for shooting Waterfowl hunting, fishing, and big Game hunting. What do you guys think about the 50 -500 big ma? I will be shooting with a tripod most of the time.
Cory "ruthless" Routh
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Sigma Big Lenses

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Sorry Cory, looks like nobody has one here, (I don't either, but have often wondered about it), there's a few first hand user reviews here at B&H...seems well liked.
Greg
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... eadReviews
ruthless
Initiate

Ether that or noone is interested in "helping a brother out!" :D

actually was going to rent one from alpha lens rentals, but it is currently not available. So I am going to give their Tammy 200-500 a go. Going to shoot some deer before the hunters do.
Cory "ruthless" Routh
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Don't forget to wear hunters red before you venture too far into the thicket!
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Why do you need such a tele lens? Isn't 300mm enough?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Actually I'm surprised you don't need a 1000mm lens, I get the impression the deer that are still alive are born survivors. The hard part is, humping a 200-500 (the late model Tamron I've heard is supposed too be quite ok, but good daylight is a requirement) quietly through the scrub is not going to be easy, without spooking the deer that is.
Greg

alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Ruthless was looking for a big Sigma lens. It may not be big enough for him but the good news is that Sigma UK have just taken delivery of the Sony version of their new 120-400 mm. I may just splash out on one if it gets good reviews. Here is the e-mail I have just reveived from Sigma UK:
The 120-400mm lens is now available in a Sony fittting. As you stated this does not have the OS function. These only arrived yesterday. We will have the weights available next week.
Kind Regards
Gary Rutter
Sigma Sales Dept
Sigma Imaging UK
ruthless
Initiate

Ill rent it after the Tammy then make a decision. Thanks for the reviews Don.
Cory "ruthless" Routh
jbtaylor

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Sorry for the delay. Just getting used to this website. I owned the 50-500 at one time and liked it. However, I was just a beginner and didn't know what to compare it to and was a novice at photography (probably still challenged but at least I have a better idea of why). This is the best shot that I ever took with it.
This is hand held but don't excpect to carry it around all day. It's still light enough to use with a sturdy moonopod. I recommend the mono over the tripod. Mobility is the key for being out in the field.

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Beautiful bird. Nice catch, though cannot say about the lens' performance (seems having fair sharpness). How was it on full scale?
BTW, the composition is great.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I like many people thought that the Sigma 50-500 was an answer to my prayers however I know 2 guys who suffered the stripped focus drive gear syndrome on Minolta/Sony cameras which is occasionally reported on other sites.
I believe the answer is to use the slow focus option on the camera to avoid this.

The new Sigma HSM lenses shouldn't have these issues and neither should the new Sony 70-400G SSM which I am waiting patiently for.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
jbtaylor

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Full scale?
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Oh man we have way too many deer here... it's the decline in hunting I think thats keeping the population so high. I traveled through PA. a lot and I know they could probably cull 75% of the deer population there and not even missing a beat...

These Sigma gear failures I think are limited to the one lens and not the bigma .. I've never see a report of one of those breaking.
ruthless
Initiate

These deer are not "Dogs" and are very wary of humans. They manage to elude the most cunning of hunters. Ill need a big lens to get the photos. I want them for bird hunting as well. Ill have the4 Tammy on monday, if I do not like it, I am going to shoot from th hip and get the bigma.
Cory "ruthless" Routh
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ok Don point taken, it's just the "impression" one gets, I guess the anti gun/hunting lobby has done it's work well.
Nice pics of the deer, is that an anti deer fence in the background? are those local nomads, semi wild pets, captive? they sure are cute. I used too shoot wild pigs here when I was a bit younger (something to do on the weekend), but I reckon it'd be a tough ask to take aim at a deer...for me anyway.
Greg