Sigma Big Lenses

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Sigma Big Lenses

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Wow, what a fab place to have at your disposal, you're a lucky guy Don...still can't quite get used to the wild colour variations you have over there in the fall...amazing, love those fancy chooks. :wink:

The closest I had to a "retreat" was, a good friend of mine had 120 acres of "hilly" rainforest with a rudimentary hut in the middle in a smallish clearing, I'll never forget the wonderful hours observing the wildlife, the birdlife especially, I got up to 82 species in my notebook, but the owner and his wife had more than 100, but of course they were there a lot more often...He's since sold it though, the state energy commission were putting through a new powerline and it was planned to go though one edge of the property, he reckoned it would spoil the whole appeal of the place, so it's now part of the State Forest for continued Cassowary conservation...Speaking of Cassowarys, their fairly large chooks, they quite often came right up to the hut for a visit, the male bird bringing his latest progeny for us too have a look at as well. 8)
Greg
ps Dogs and cats were banned from his property, that was a stroke of genius I think.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Fella's I think this conversation may be heading off track.

Back to big and well stacked lenses and their application to wildlife please. :mrgreen:
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

You're probably right,
We were just having a quiet conversation on the side, you don't have to read it if you don't want. By all means if you have any info on large telephoto lenses that hasn't already been covered, fire away, the floor is all yours.
Greg
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Cory: Have you considered the Mirror lens? it's F8 but it's light and highly portable, seems very sharp too
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I got to hold a "Bigma" yesterday and was very impressed. Holding it isn't any kind of assessment compared to using it, but it wasn't an intolerable burden, especially considerig its usefulness. According to the salesman, it is significantly sharper than the Sigma 170-500 (which looks like it could fit inside the 50-500, so it isn't as surprising as it would seem). He added that he sells the "bigma" most often to soccer-moms wanting to shoot at games. Given the price, the speed (f/6.3 at 500 ain't bad!), and the range, it would probably be the first lens I'd consider if I ever needed more than 300mm.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Actually Cory, I'd be interested in what you think of the Tamron, I still have my 200-500 but alas it's an MD version, but I always thought it was quite a good lens, good sharpness and contrast especially at f8 and about 400-450mm, thing is, the old version like mine is the internal zoom, a very big and heavy design, much heavier than todays version with the extending objective design, so it would be interesting to get an opinion of the late version. I know Jem over at DPR "Sony DSLR" bought one and had a bit of a play with it for a while, but I don't think I ever saw his conclusion on the lens.
Greg
ruthless
Initiate

Unread post by ruthless »

I want to try the mirror but ALR does not rent those. Maybe Ill ask him.

Don, I was not picking on your tame deer aka "dogs". These are the type we kull out, for freezer stock.

I grew up on a farm as well, we also left some crops for deer as well as planted clover and mineral blocks in the off season.

I am by no means a pro photog, but I am published, Ill post up a review after turkey day.
Cory "ruthless" Routh
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

...........I have searched google for 50-500 and Bigma gear strips and I can find nothing.

Sorry the message board (an aviation related one) was updated recently and all archive messages were lost however one of my mates had this issue. His A100 stripped his Sigma 70-300 APO which he had fixed under warranty then his Bigma did the same shortly after but unfortunately it was out of warranty. He decided that enough was enough and jumped to a Canon 40D and bought a 100-400. He is apparently now happy.

I am sure DK suggested making sure the camera is switched off when changing lenses and that it is set to slow AF to preserve the fragile gearing. Sigma's move to HSM will eliminate this issue.

Not everyone appreciates the finer qualities of Minolta/Sony images. The aviation fraternity are after focus accuracy and speed and frame rate a bit like sports. I think the A700 made a big step to closing the gap along with SSM lenses.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Sonolta wrote:I have owned the KM5D, the A100, and the A700 along with the Sigma 10-20, 28-105 2.8-4, 28-200D, 24 1.8EX, 24 2.8 X 2, and the Sigma 70-300 APO DG ....Guess what, all of my Sigma's AF worked perfectly, but the autofocus took a dump on my a700 after only 11 months...maybe Sony will get this sorted out with the release of the Sony A705...
Maybe your Sigma lenses killed your A700. :D :D <-- Note, that is a joke. :D Big smileys. :D

I have 3 Sigma lenses in A-mount (24mm, 90mm macro, 18-125mm) and all work fine on KM 7D, A100, and A700. I also have 3 Sigma lenses in Canon mount (10-20mm, 18-200mm OS, 18-125mm) and they work fine too. In fact, about 15 minutes ago I sold the Canon mount 18-125mm to someone here after he checked it out on his 40D.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Sonolta wrote: I get tired of reading this sort of Sigma bashing...BTW, I don't use slow AF and I have used the APO DG alot the past three years...Seriously, I have heard of dozens of Zeiss lenses being sent back, hundreds of backfocusing Minolta lenses, etc, etc.. but we continue to see Sony peeps dumping on Sigma and not the others.
-Sonolta
Honest I'm not Sigma bashing, I have several and haven't had a problem with any other than a very old 70-300 on which the zoom ring tightened up.
I was considering a Bigma but held back when my mate had the problems.
I have Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Minolta and Sony lenses at the moment and the only one I don't use is a Tokina 28-70 f2.8 which backfocuses badly.

If Sony hadn't been addressing the longer range I'd have been in the market for a Sigma 120-400.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Buttoneer
Acolyte

Unread post by Buttoneer »

I don't see anyone Sigma bashing here...???

There are plenty of reports around on DP Review of the 70-300 APO DG gears stripping with the newer Sony camera's and I think it is bound to cause people some nervousness (rightly or wrongly) with the rest of the range. This is especially so with the more expensive examples like the 50-500.

I have used my 70-300 very rarely on my A700 because of this, saving it for the KM5D instead, but because the Bigma does what it does so very well, I still have that in regular use. It's a fine lens and I can't give it up while it still works but I am certainly still nervous using it. Where practical I slow down the focus, just being sensible really. If I need the speed, I use it. If I don't, I won't risk it going during a hunt for focus.

I can't say I have seen any specific complaints about the Bigma gears so it does appear to be an unfounded fear for this particular model and as long as it continues to work as well as it does I see no reason to jump ship. Unless those Sony 70-400 reviews start to look juicy come January...
Buttoneer
Acolyte

Perhaps you'd care to reread my post and come back with a civil reply when you're all done growing up?
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

I'm holding out to see what the Sony 70 - 400 G is like before I make any choice for a new long lens.

But on the Sigma 70 - 300 APO I did buy on at the same time as I bought a Minolta 7xi for shooting local hockey games ( that is field hockey to anyone in North America ). The Sigma only lasted one season as I found it frustrating slow in auto focus and a stiff zooming action. Given the number of enthusiastic users of various models of this lens, I will put this down to simply getting a poor sample.

Today I received in the mail a copy of a local photographic magazine ( Photo Review Australia ) that contained a mini review of the Sigma APO 150 - 500mm DG OS HSM lens. In summary they said
" ... Overall performance was very good. Lateral chromatic aberration was negligible...and there was no evidence of coloured fringing in shots.Slight vignetting was observed at the 150mm and 200mm focal length settings but by 250mm this was negligible.No significant rectilinear distortion was detected. Backlit subjects were handled with ease. Bokeh was acceptable - but not spectacularly beautiful."

Of course what is no significant distortion to one photographer is absolute rubbish to another. Make of it what you will.
Buttoneer
Acolyte

Sonolta wrote:that reply is as accurate now as it was then.
Oh I quite agree.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

You use what you have got and what you can afford at the time.

Also this was when the internet was a scientific tool and that even basic dial-up modems were expensive and unreliable and your phone bills even worse. Forums like this did not exist. A lot harder to make the same mistakes today.

It was replaced with a similar spec Tamron which was faster in the auto focus but had rather more flare when shooting into the sun at about 240 to 300mm. But given that I was getting a lot more usable shots overall, that was something to be lived with.

I don't shoot sports these days so whether a lens is ok or not no longer is part of my consideration in buying it.