Three lenses

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
rogprov
Oligarch

Three lenses

Unread post by rogprov »

I hope to be getting a a900 in the near future (with a bit of luck and a following wind) and in preparation have been trying for some suitable FF lenses on eBay.

I've managed to get, for the combined cost of £175 (including shipping) a Minolta 28-105mm, a Minolta 24-85mm RS and Minolta 35-200mm xi.
The first two are as new in box old stock (with hoods, caps and paperwork) and the last is excellent but used and no hood (anyone know of a suitable hood needing a home?)

Do you think I made some reasonable buys?

Tried them out on the a700 and they seem just fine - great in fact :D

I already have other FF lenses so all I need now is that camera .... :wink:
Roger
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Three lenses

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The 28-105 and the 35-200mm and both unusually good, on the basis of my samples. I sold the 35-200 as I did not like working with it. I believe the 24-85mm is not as good as the 28-105mm, I certainly never liked it on film (mainly because it just didn't focus close enough for many things I wanted to do). But all samples vary, so try them, and keep whichever you like best - or at that price, all three.

David
mdcromer
Initiate

Unread post by mdcromer »

Congratulations!

I too have started collecting some Minolta lenses before I pick up the A900 in January. In my case, I got a beercan, 28-135, and 50/1.4 for available light fun. I'll be trying to find a sharp Sigma 12-24 to round out my landscape lenses, but only after the Alpha 900 arrives to ensure I don't purchase a lemon.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I tried only one of my two 35~200 Xi on the A900 last week end, and it was good (really good...) from 50mm to 200mm, but on wide you can see a little too much CA -I don't know if it is a sampe issue or part of the qualities of this lens. I love this lens at all focal ranges on the A700

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

As Minolta lenses are quite rare here, I'm collecting M42 mount lenses (mainly Soviet made, as these are abundant).
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr