A thin-ring polarizer for the CZ16-80

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You've given me a good idea. We have some of the Minolta 62mm to 72mm step up rings left to sell, and we also have some original classic 1970s Minolta 72mm plastic lens caps. I think I'll put them together as a bundle, because you can use the 72mm cap with the adaptor ring fitted. Not that you can use the lens shade, of course :-)

David
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

David Kilpatrick wrote:You've given me a good idea. We have some of the Minolta 62mm to 72mm step up rings left to sell, and we also have some original classic 1970s Minolta 72mm plastic lens caps. I think I'll put them together as a bundle, because you can use the 72mm cap with the adaptor ring fitted. Not that you can use the lens shade, of course :-)

David
That might work. Hama sells a 72mm zoom hood -

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... _Zoom.html

I used to use these hoods with MC/MD lenses and like them a lot. They're very well made.

I took the dogs for a walk near Peters Canyon yesterday and took the 16-80 for a trial-run with the new Hoya Pro 1 polarizer. Color is good. All I did to this shot was curves, resize and sharpen. I did remove some vignetting with the healing brush in top corners in the sky but this was not filter clipping. Focal length was 50mm at f6.3. I also cropped out just a bit of concrete sidewalk at the bottom.

It was around 1pm and as you can see by the shadows, the sun is almost straight up in this shot.

However, I was digging around in a box of old caps and found a scratched up Minolta LF-1162 cap and now use this in place of the Zeiss one. It fits more securely on the front threads of the Hoya thin-ring polarizer and it's not as clattery as the Zeiss cap. It just seems more solid and tight. It's slightly thinner too. The LF-1162 is like the one in this picture -

http://homepage1.nifty.com/network/came ... w/cap2.htm

I like it too because it flashes the camera's Minolta heritage. Nothing else on the camera or lens says "Minolta" anymore. Anyway, this filter and lens cap are an excellent combo for the 16-80.

Ed
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I have a Hoya collapsible rubber 72mm wide-angle hood which I bought for one of my older lenses. Probably similar. I reckon there is a potential aftermarket for a special w/a polarizer with built-in petal hood for generic 16-80mm lenses, now that every maker will be obliged to bring one out :-)

David
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I have a Hoya collapsible rubber 72mm wide-angle hood which I bought for one of my older lenses. Probably similar. I reckon there is a potential aftermarket for a special w/a polarizer with built-in petal hood for generic 16-80mm lenses, now that every maker will be obliged to bring one out :-)

David
I don't know if the Hoya is the same or not. I've had a Hoya before and, as you said, it was just collapsible.

The Hama goes beyond just being collapsible. This is an actually 3-postition "zoom" hood and at it's most "collapsed" position, it is good for a 24mm (16mm) wide angle. It's medium position would be just about normal lens range and then you fold out the rubber even further for a telephoto hood. I imagine this would be ideal for the 16-80.

Ed
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

That's how one of my wide-angle 55mm rubber hoods started out - after many years of use, the front part fell off with rubber fatigue and I was left with just the wide bit! I do not think it was Hama, but Hama is just a rebrander of generic trade products and this folding rubber hood with three sections has been around for at least 20 years.

David