What a weekend

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Disfncnl1
Acolyte

What a weekend

Unread post by Disfncnl1 »

This Sunday was one of the annual chili cook offs here in Columbus Ohio.I started my pot cookin last night, and had it just about where i wanted it to be,untill.... I got up this morning and thought it was a bit acidic from the tomato soup i put in so i added some brown sugar.Wow...a little goes a long way and needless to say i had a pot of chili candy.i started to panic and curse the pot.Once i regained my composure...stay with me this story does go somewhere...i add spices and what not to tame the sweetness.Hopped in the car and headed on down to enter the contest.After 3 or 4 beers the judging was done.i strated to sweat cause they give a prize for lastbut it wasn't me then came third,second,and while taking my last swig of beer i hear the announcer say "and the winner of this years chili cookoff is JEFF" you got it and disaster turned into a winning pot of chili.Now i know you are wondering why i posted that here.This is the good part.

After packing up i took my winnings and stopped in at a local camera shop and there they were,,,A 50mm 1.7 and a 28mm 2.8 i just knew i had to have them.When all was said and done i managed to get both for under $100 USD.

I will be stopping back at this store more often.Hope you all had a great weekend too!hiccup!!

Jeff
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: What a weekend

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

And all we get here is Burns night haggis!

Hmmm. Chilli haggis. That could work...

David
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I have chicken pot pies in the oven right now, but wish I had some good chili on a cold night like tonight.

I don't get it with you Scots and haggis. Does that stuff actually taste good?

Reminds me of an old saying: "Those who love sausage and respect the law should never see either one being made."

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Haggis does taste good. It feels horrible and it looks foul! But it tastes great...

I once tried grits in Louisiana. Now anyone who can enjoy grits would think haggis is manna from heaven!

David
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

The secret to grits is lots of butter and sugar! My 4 year old love them!

Dusty
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

Mostly butter.

Hey, awesome story. It's just as well I don't have a camera shop like that around here.... I prolly have enough lenses for now. (sour grapes :wink: )
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

Dusty wrote:I have chicken pot pies in the oven right now, but wish I had some good chili on a cold night like tonight.

I don't get it with you Scots and haggis. Does that stuff actually taste good?

Reminds me of an old saying: "Those who love sausage and respect the law should never see either one being made."

Dusty
Haggis is the food of the Gods! It is what makes us Scots such a hardy race! Image
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Liver, lungs and heart, they all have little tubes running through them, sort of puts me off a bit just thinking about it, but I guess it must taste good once it's cooked.
The Scots have had quite a few export successes, an amazingingly colourful and inventive lot really, golf, bagpipe music, kilts and tartans, caber tossing, haggis... and there are probably more things that I can't remember at the moment, but I don't think haggis caught on anywhere nearly as well as golf did or the pipes even, you have to admit that any parade isn't a parade unless it has a pipe band, well, that's the way important parades are here at least, but the haggis never really gets a mention.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Can't speak for the haggis, but think that single malts should be added to the list. I could say the best light and landscape for photography, but I guess that could need a IMHO added on :D . Also, of course, home of the best WW photoclub!
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Goodness graciousment how did I forget Scotch whisky, thanks for reminding me Birma, it's late here that's my excuse, also a mix of watching late night TV and insomnia.
Greg
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Hmmm, I didn't know haggis was scottish food... wonder what would Arabs, Turks, Kazakhs, Uzbeks, Tadjiks, Georgians, Armenians and overall Middle East, Eastern Asian and Caucasian people would say...
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

My bet is that the haggis tastes a lot better after several shots of Scotch! Perhaps that's why they invented Scotch whiskey, to either prep for the eating of or wash down the haggis! :P

Dusty
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Haggis tastes many different ways. It's usually just a sort of spicy chopped liver (and similar bits) with barley and the seasoning has a big, big effect on the quality - as well as the source of the ingredients. We try to avoid ones which say 'pork offal' as the main ingredient, and go for the best ones which use lamb, but the difference in price is substantial.

We once decided to send some friends in California a haggis (tinned, of course, for travel) but it was impounded at Dallas and destroyed as illegally imported foodstuff. So a guy I only knew from guitar playing, Burle McGhee in Virginia, volunteered to buy a haggis legally imported at his local Highland gathering, and send it at his own expense to our friends.

In my opinion anyone willing to consider eating a Taco Belle burrito has nothing to fear from the contents of a haggis!

NB: Arabs, Turks, Bulgarians and many others would also dispute that the bagpipe is Scots. Nearly every European and Middle Eastern country has bagpipes. But unlike the Scots most play them in private...

David
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

David Kilpatrick wrote:In my opinion anyone willing to consider eating a Taco Belle burrito has nothing to fear from the contents of a haggis!
I have even heard of a far, remote, exotic country where they eat snails and frog legs :mrgreen:
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

Dusty wrote:The secret to grits is lots of butter and sugar!
As a Southerner by birth this is Sacrilege! The only proper way to eat grits is with salt, pepper and butter (with whatever savory breakfast food you would like to mix in with them).

DK,

If you ever get back out this way, I will let you try my wife's shrimp and grits. Heaven in a bowl...