Yashica AF and Minolta AF

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Viewfinder [ + ]USA1
Acolyte

Re: Yashica AF and Minolta AF- Switching Lens Mounts

Unread post by Viewfinder [ + ]USA1 »

Is it possible to remove a Yashica AF lens mount and replace it with a Minolta AF lens mount and still maintain Aperture control?
The design of both bayonet mounts are so similar (Four Screws, AF Drive Cam location, 5-Pin Contact location, Lens locking detent) that the only major difference is the location of the Aperture Lever.
Does the Yashica's Aperture Lever need to be modified for this to work? Has anyone successfully done this?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Yashica AF and Minolta AF

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Their mount was directly based on Minolta AF. Since the lenses are so cheap, you could maybe try a mod. But they were not very good - they were made by Tomioka optical factory, not the Yashica-Contax Zeiss controlled unit.

David
Viewfinder [ + ]USA1
Acolyte

Re: Yashica AF and Minolta AF

Unread post by Viewfinder [ + ]USA1 »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Their mount was directly based on Minolta AF. Since the lenses are so cheap, you could maybe try a mod. But they were not very good - they were made by Tomioka optical factory, not the Yashica-Contax Zeiss controlled unit.

David
David, Thank You for the reply.
I think I'll give it a try anyway with a Yashica AF 50mm F1.9 Lens of mine. I have a maxxum AF and other AF Lenses that are flood damaged, but the metal lens mounts look O-K.
If this works, I will have the equivalent of a 75mm F1.9 Lens that I can try out on my KM7D. It may not be the best lens in the bag, but it may do in a pinch.
By the way, do you know where I could get a set of Lens Aperture (Iris) Blades for a Minolta Maxxum Crossed XX AF 50mm F1.7 (22) Lens?
If not, Thanks anyway.

Noteworthy: Yashica 35mm AF SLR's did have a unique "Trap Focus" Mode, which came in handy years ago, for catching a 'Cookie Jar' thief.:lol: