Minolta 17-35 and Sony 18-50

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
chorleyjeff
Initiate

Minolta 17-35 and Sony 18-50

Unread post by chorleyjeff »

Following an earlier question I decided to get an 18-70 for use on my Alpha 100.
But On second thoughts maybe a Minolta 17-35 would serve my purpose better because I could use it on my Minolta 35mm film camera.
The 17-35 is more expensive ( £225 v £79 secondhand with usual guarantees) and heavier but would the extra cost be evident in the quality of image both with the lenses at wide apertures and moderate( say f8) aperture. I guess the 17-35 would be better wide open but would appreciate any factual information please.
Cheers
Jeff
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

If you can find one, Jessop clearance stores were disposing of the 17-35mm at £99 a go earlier this week.

David
chorleyjeff
Initiate

There are some clearance stores within a 10 mile radius of my home. Do I have to go to the shops and rummage - the phone numbers are not on their website and I don't have a phone directory?
Cheers
Jeff
chorleyjeff
Initiate

Found phone number by registering with a website directory and yes I do have to go there myself to rummage.
Any idea which store(s) has the 17-35 lens?
Cheers
Jeff
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

That's interesting. When I called my local clearance store (Plymouth) they told me over the phone they didn't have any, or indeed hadn't had any..............

Best wishes hunting.

Philip
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

Happened to go into Plymouth today and lurking at the bottom of a cabinet in Jessop's was a 17-35 f2.8-4. Better then that was the price - £59.99! :D
They are still about (I got the last one in Plymouth), but don't believe the salesperson if you telephone in, go and have a look yourself.

Good hunting.

Philip