Cokin Filters

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Cokin Filters

Unread post by Dusty »

I know that SOMEWHERE in my old camera gear I have packed away a few Cokin filters. I had both A and P systems. I've searched thru the threads, and I see that some of you use them. I also see a lot of people worried about using the thinnest filters so they don't vignette the lens. What results have others had using Cokins? I guess my kit lens - 18-70 - is the one to worry about. I doubt the 70 - 300 is a problem, but I'm not totally sure about that, either.

Thanks,
Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Philip
Oligarch

Re: Cokin Filters

Unread post by Philip »

I've used Cokin P series on the 70-300 G and 24-70 Zeiss on an A900. The 70-300 is no problem but there is serious vignetting on the 24-70 - it is so bad that it is unusable. I hadn't realised that there was a problem until I had gone on vacation and wanted to use a polariser whilst away. The problem, I'm sure, is the extended holder, and at some point I'll cut the excess lugs off of a spare holder and see if that cures it as I rarely use more than one filter at a time.

Philip
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I bought a holder and a few filters years ago but hardly ever used it/them, it looked like a good system though much faster to try different filters, (assuming you can find the one you want in your kit) it looks like both you guys could use the Z-Pro size holder, (if you're keen that is), to be on the safe side, have a look here.
http://www.cokin.com/ico15-A.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg
ps the only thing that kept me from using it here more was, there was no convenient way of keeping the direct sun off the filter/s outside, maybe if there was a nifty little brollie you could attach to the top of the holder...might get some strange looks though. :)
Yagil Henkin
Heirophant

My solution was to use the filters WITHOUT the holder.

Unread post by Yagil Henkin »

I've once read that recommendation in Tim Fitzharis' column in Popular photography, tried it and it works: I attach the filters with Gaffer tape, which leaves no mark. No vignetting at all even on my Sigma 10-20.
(I'm using now Singh-Ray's. They seem better and less scratch-prone than the cockin, but I was p***** off a bit when recently I've found that they are plastic, too. Seems the only Glass square grads are tiffen's).
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

I cut a Chinese copy of the Cokin P filter holder down to just one filter so that I could use it on the 24-70ZA on FF.
David
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

Thanks for confirming that cutting the holder down works- I'll get onto it ASAP :D

Philip
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

I just used a fine hacksaw, took about 2 minutes.
If I was more into filters then I would invest in larger filters like the Lee system.
David
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Thanks, everyone. I'll have to dig mine out and give it a try.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).