Minolta 80-200mm f/2.8 APO G

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Omega892
Oligarch

Minolta 80-200mm f/2.8 APO G

Unread post by Omega892 »

Would one of these be worth the money for use with D7D and Alpha?

TIA
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Yes, especially if it is an HS version - High Speed focus. The early version should not cost more than £400. An HS version s/h is worth £500.

David
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

Have got a 80-200HS - it was very good on my D7D (occasionally back focusing - but that's the camera not the lens) and excellent on the A100, and is very fast focusing (and bitingly sharp) on my A700.
there is one on ebay uk at the moment, but quite expensive - last time I looked bids were at £799.

Philip
Omega892
Oligarch

Thanks for your words of wisdom David and Philip.

The one I had an eye on was a High Speed Focus so I took in my A100 to try it on and as you say Philip is focuses very quick, and right on the money. So I went for it at about the going rate (I have used the dealer regularly and so we often come to an accommodation) that I had checked by a quick trawl through web sites, although there were not than many of this animal going at the moment and being able to handle and view has its advantages.

I tried an A700 whilst in the shop but found it awkward. I don’t like the joystick controller which is less positive for me than the type on the Dynax 7, 7D and A100 as my fingers are not longer very sensitive. I might get used to it but as yet another rapid access dial has vanished and the menus become more important the signs are not good. I do wonder why Sony should progressively ruin such a well thought out and rapid control interface. My money was better spent on that lens in my opinion and I hope that Sony return to the interface with more utility on a subsequent model as I may have to give the 700 a miss.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

Well done on getting a superb lens - hope it doesn't let you down after singing its praises! As far as the A700 is concerned, I get on really well with the layout and navigation, fast to use without dipping into buried menus (without a long learning curve) - just goes to show that you've go to try something out before puchasing.
Enjoy your lens :)

Philip
rogprov
Oligarch

Unread post by rogprov »

Philip wrote:... As far as the A700 is concerned, I get on really well with the layout and navigation, fast to use without dipping into buried menus
Philip
Me too! I find the whole system fast and easy.
Roger
Omega892
Oligarch

I used this lens, on the Dynax 7D, on Wednesday to shoot a sunset here. I shot a sequence of seven pictures which I stitched into a panorama. I sent a smaller image file of it to BBC South Today's website and it is currently in their gallery here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southtoday/content ... ry.shtml?3
Omega892
Oligarch

Omega892 wrote:I used this lens, on the Dynax 7D, on Wednesday to shoot a sunset here. I shot a sequence of seven pictures which I stitched into a panorama. I sent a smaller image file of it to BBC South Today's website and it is currently in their gallery here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southtoday/content ... ry.shtml?3
What a difference a day makes!

Now at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southtoday/content ... ry.shtml?8
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Just wait, it will disappear entirely in a week or so! Nice sunset sky but maybe not got a strong foreground. You should take some cardboard cut out people, or the silhouette of a church spire, with you :-)

David
Omega892
Oligarch

David Kilpatrick wrote:Just wait, it will disappear entirely in a week or so! Nice sunset sky but maybe not got a strong foreground. You should take some cardboard cut out people, or the silhouette of a church spire, with you :-)

David
Yes, I know it won't be there long.

As for foreground, I agree. :)

But some times one has to use what one has and such is better than no picture at all. Besides I had to move quick, I was about to go out walk the dog and quickly dived indoors, put camera and lens together, set up and shot.

I used the Dynax because I prefer to go manual exposure on this and the Alpha I find too damned awkward and with the D7D it is so much quicker to reset ISO and WB.