Sony 18-250 lens

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Hakanie
Acolyte

Sony 18-250 lens

Unread post by Hakanie »

I've just bought a used Sony 18-250 lens. It seems to be in very good condition but I have one question about the focus ring.
When I have the camera in manual focus mode and turn the focus ring it makes some kind of grinding sound. And the focus ring also feels kind of stiff.
Is this normal or do you think there is a problem with the focus gear? :?:

Hakanie
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Sony 18-250 lens

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

These lens do make a geared sound when you turn the ring, and there is some resistance. Try it with the lens removed from the camera. But it should not 'grind'.

David
alphaPDX
Heirophant

Re: Sony 18-250 lens (Tamron too)

Unread post by alphaPDX »

My Tamron version behaves just the same, and worried me just the same too :) it's a feature not a problem. As DK notes, it has no resistance when focus is turned while off the camera; it's my only lens that does this while on the camera.
Jim R, Oregon -- a200 + lenses & stuff
Hakanie
Acolyte

Re: Sony 18-250 lens

Unread post by Hakanie »

Thanks for the replies David and alphaPDX. It seems that there's no problem with my lens. I took some shots yesterday to try it out and I am very satisfied with the result.

Hakanie